Possible purchase of a 1997 Basscat Jaguar Hull - Information Needed

I'm looking at a '97 Jaguar that looks like it was well cared-for most of its life, but I also had another manufacturers boat that was a 2000 and ended up having significant structural problems, so I'm a little gun shy of a boat with wood.

I know Bass Cat builds an excellent boat. Is anyone seeing any structural issues with due to age/water intrusion? I am planning to check the floor for soft spots and the transom, of course I have no way to check stringers. Are there any known trouble spots? Anyone who can help educate me on other areas to check, I would appreciate your comments. I am primarily focused on the structural integrity of the hull, less on the potential dash issues or other things I have already researched with these hulls.
    2006 Stratos 200 Pro XL

2. Member
    I had a 97 jag about 7 years ago...It was a great boat and I ran it on LSC and Erie.I had absolutely zero issues with that boat and kind of wish I would have just repowered that hull...My boat was in very good shape for its age....Obviously every used boat will be different...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

I would call the factory with the serial number,as a good place to start
    Quote Originally Posted by vtbasspro View Post
    I'm looking at a '97 Jaguar that looks like it was well cared-for most of its life, but I also had another manufacturers boat that was a 2000 and ended up having significant structural problems, so I'm a little gun shy of a boat with wood.

I know Bass Cat builds an excellent boat. Is anyone seeing any structural issues with due to age/water intrusion? I am planning to check the floor for soft spots and the transom, of course I have no way to check stringers. Are there any known trouble spots? Anyone who can help educate me on other areas to check, I would appreciate your comments. I am primarily focused on the structural integrity of the hull, less on the potential dash issues or other things I have already researched with these hulls.

There are so many things that happen to a boat or engine we have no way of tracking.

5. Member
    I had a 98 Jag. Look for worn springs, equalizing beam and shackles on the trailer. Bolts back out or missing on trailer bunks.
    At that age, I wouldn't expect the brakes to work. Mine didn't, and wasn't a big deal for me.
    Do an electrical test. Livewell pumps function. Nav lights work. Bilge pumps function.
    In the left rear of the bilge area on the ransom is a terminal block with wires. Check for excess corrosion.
    Check for wear in the steering actuator-engine connection (Optimax only)

I had no rot anywhere in the boat. Was an awesome rig.
    Everything I listed worked on my boat. I did have wear and a leak in the steering actuator at the engine.
    I replaced the bunks and carpet.
    If your looking at an older boat, BCB is the way to go. Quality was excellent, even on the boats that had wood.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs