Panoptix PS22-TR inititial observations

Initial observations viewed through an EchoMap plus 73sv. Default settings except for the forward distance being set to 100'. These may change with time and more experience.

- Mounted directly in front of 75lb thrust trolling motor torpedo with shadetree fashioned starboard arm, CV52 trolling motor mount hardware, and 1/2 of PS22 barrel mount.
    - Installed latest update on EchoMap prior to installing the PS22.
    - Ethernet and power cables are too short to reach the console on 21' boat. Easily extendable with additional parts.
    - No issues with artifacts, connectivity, or switching between forward and down modes. There is some slight interference when the trolling motor is run at full thrust, but this I would expect.
    - Was able to calibrate compass at 60% but directional icon goes a little wonky from time to time. Will not be marking waypoints with it. Not a big deal for me.
    - Tracking objects can be a challenge in wind, but much easier corrected by rotating trolling motor vs. entire boat with Sidevu, Downvu etc..
    - Easily marks Duo Realis Spybait 80, 3" popper, and 1/2oz lipless crankbait out to 80'+, both on and under surface.
    - 100' on the graph did not look like 100' to my eye but distances are hard to judge across water.
    - Found bait balls and fish busting them from below pretty easily.
    - Livevu forward mode has a hard time showing fish on the bottom with 7"screen at 100' setting. I saw some but know from watching chirp there were a lot more.
    - Brush piles show but if old and sparse do not register as large or as tall as they might be.
    - Livevu down mode at 30-40' shows fish on the bottom and variance in cover quite well. Should work nicely for jigging or drop-shotting brush piles.
    - Transponder could use a protective cover for when attached and trailering at higher speeds. A rock or other impact could prove expensive.

Overall I am very impressed. The price is a little hard to swallow initially, but the ability to scan an area for activity without driving over it is should save gas, time, effort, and not spook the fish. Planning to add a 93SV at the bow down the road and network all together.

2. Member
    Great input! Planning my boat right now and this is part of the plan.

3. Member
    Good report. Folks like to get their information from a variety of sources. The torpedo vs shaft mount is a tough decision. On the torpedo you lose good compass reading. On the shaft I always worry about some blocking for LiveVu Down.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.