Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Planning to cut a huge hole in my boat

I've got a Comfortroll D-Lux recessed trolling pedal tray on the way to replace the factory recessed pedal tray in my 2010 model.

I've never been a fan of taking a saw to my boat but I'm going to go for it.

I was perfectly happy with my MK Ulterra but I've decided to by a couple of Bird units and wanted the link. Being MK doesn't offer link in the 36V 45" Ulterra - I bought an Ultrex (thanks Tim Powell Fastbass Marine for the great deal & crazy fast shipping).

I've used it one time, the trolling motor is great but the crane stance is not going to work!

But yea, I still don't like the idea of cutting the deck!
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

I did some trimming on the Ultrex pedal and was able to get the rear part of the pedal right down to the bottom of the Allison pan and left the front of the pedal about 1/2 inch below deck.
    At that angle the pedal is flat when the motor is going straight ahead, which is perfect for me as an old (rodeo) injury makes it painful when my toe is lower than my heal.
    I cut a 3/8 plastic sheet to the outline and covered it with the same carpet to mount the pedal to.
    This also allows me to get my toe on the function buttons.. If the pedal was all the way down it would put the switches at an awkward angle. Especially the constant on as it is lower than the Navigation and spot lock.
    Works good for me !!

3. Member
    I think I would be cutting on the pedal before the boat. I bet the pedal is way cheaper to fix if you screw it up.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

4. Member
    The new tray has about 1" larger opening all the way around. I've looked under the deck, there is nothing around the tray on the sides and the brace attaches on the rear.

Basically, it will be making the current opening slightly bigger.

But yea, it's a little unnerving

5. Member
    Wasn’t in an Allison but I put the comfortrol deluxe in my Ranger last year with an Ultrex and it’s completely worth it. Excellent fit and finish, no regrets, scary feeling though. Follow the template and have a shopvac and plastic down... pretty simple process. Good luck. I do have a post on here with pictures and advice.

6. Member
    Done it with my 2017 Bullet this year. Just use the template and take your time.

7. Member
    IMG_20181014_56776.jpg much better.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    much better.

That is the tray I ordered, thanks for the link. It also gave me the courage to do it! If it messes up my deck I'm blaming Tim Powell Fastbass Marine

9. Member
    When I installed the confortrol tray in my xb-2003, Darris recommended applying resin around the cut opening to keep everything sealed.
    I’m not sure what material is in the deck of a xb-21 but there was a piece of wood in the deck of the 2003 you cut through to install a recessed tray.

10. Member
    Great job Joe. I would probably be an inch taller had I not been all storked up on them old timey pedals for 40 years! LOL

Nice.
    Looks hard to get a toe on the constant on switch.
    I use the constant on along with the navigation switch a LOT. Especially working grass lines. Just point it in the right direction -- Hit the on button and stand with both feet on the deck. Use the pedal to make minor direction adjustments when needed. If you want to make an extra cast in one spot. hit the constant off for a second and then proceed or if you really want to work an area hit the spot lock.

This thing has not only improved my fishing -- it allows me to fish much longer with a lot less old man fatigue..

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Great job Joe. I would probably be an inch taller had I not been all storked up on them old timey pedals for 40 years! LOL
    The picture is Dan's boat, my tray should be here this week. If Powell was closer I'd let him do the honors while I looked the other direction!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Nice.
    Looks hard to get a toe on the constant on switch.
    I use the constant on along with the navigation switch a LOT. Especially working grass lines. Just point it in the right direction -- Hit the on button and stand with both feet on the deck. Use the pedal to make minor direction adjustments when needed. If you want to make an extra cast in one spot. hit the constant off for a second and then proceed or if you really want to work an area hit the spot lock.

This thing has not only improved my fishing -- it allows me to fish much longer with a lot less old man fatigue..
    That is a valid concern.

I built mine up and it does pretty good . It is above the deck . I thought about putting one of those in mine .. Just hate to cut it..
    Last edited by mgeod; 10-15-2018 at 06:30 PM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeod View Post
    I built mine up and it does pretty good . It is above the deck . I thought about putting one of those in mine .. Just hate to cut it..
    I've got mine mounted with some spacers underneath it. It is actually probably only 1" recessed and I do not like it that high.

It is either cut the pedal and I'm not convinced I could get it all the way to the bottom of the tray if I cut it or change the tray.

My tray should be here late Wednesday so the plan is to install it Thursday evening, if I can keep the nerve to do it. Actually I've looked under the deck and I can't see why a hole that requires about 1" additional material removed will be any issue. In the picture above, Dan has the tray in his boat and it seems fine.

16. Member
    Joe, here is the rough opening difference from the Allison retrofit pedal tray.

IMG_20181015_5517.jpg
    IMG_20181015_2753.jpg
    IMG_20181015_45769.jpg

17. Member
    Just click them to see em.

18. Member
    My bassport pro does not have that post, it is open from my center box all the way to the bow. Mine has a brace glassed under the deck running the length of the deck from the factory glassed tray to the edge of the center box (approximately 4').

Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    Joe, here is the rough opening difference from the Allison retrofit pedal tray.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JOEALLY; 10-15-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: pic added

19. Member
    Joe,

That wood plank was encapsulated in glass!

Dan that tray looks really good. I don't use a foot pedal and I want to put one in. I would like the tool holder and cup holder.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast