Nikon scope 2nd fail

So I bought a Nikon 2x7 scope twenty years ago and mounted it on a Ruger #1 with Mannleckler stock in 30.06. Killed a bunch of deer with it.
    A coup,e years ago I ranged it and I’d get one shot where I aimed and then it’d drop 6”
    Sent the scope back to Nikon. They said they refurbished it. I had hunted with other rifles since but decided to re check it this year and got the zero on. I shot some new rounds my friend loaded for me for bear and same shit problem with the scope.

Im sending it back to Nikon and then I’ll give it to someone I don’t like.
    I just ordered a Vortex 2-7 Guide scope for the rifle. $168 delivered.

We we will see.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catjuggin View Post
    So I bought a Nikon 2x7 scope twenty years ago and mounted it on a Ruger #1 with Mannleckler stock in 30.06. Killed a bunch of deer with it.
    A coup,e years ago I ranged it and I’d get one shot where I aimed and then it’d drop 6”
    Sent the scope back to Nikon. They said they refurbished it. I had hunted with other rifles since but decided to re check it this year and got the zero on. I shot some new rounds my friend loaded for me for bear and same shit problem with the scope.

Im sending it back to Nikon and then I’ll give it to someone I don’t like.
    I just ordered a Vortex 2-7 Guide scope for the rifle. $168 delivered.

We we will see.
    I am not happy with my Nikon,just do not like it.Looking at a Vortex Diamondback hp.Vortex seems to have lots of happy customers and get good reviews.

3. Member
    I have vortex scopes from $150 and up to a viper pst2. One of the diamond backs is on a large springer air rifle that eats scopes. It has held zero longer than anything else I have had on it including the first air rifle specific scope. Says a lot for the brand. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    Have you tried other scopes on the ruger to verify it's the scope?

I own a lot of various brands of scopes, no Nikons ( no reason, just never got one). For the money the Vortex are hard to beat.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dogdare View Post
    Have you tried other scopes on the ruger to verify it's the scope?
    Not a bad idea.

You've had it 20 years.. Either way I'd say you got your money's worth... Last time I had an issue like that it was the rings that was the issue... Front ring was worn.. Put new rings on it, good to go..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    You've had it 20 years.. Either way I'd say you got your money's worth... Last time I had an issue like that it was the rings that was the issue... Front ring was worn.. Put new rings on it, good to go..
    Yep or barrel is fouled.
    I have several Nikon Monarch bdc's that I love. Every gun is a tack driver with the right ammo. The on my deer rifle custom 30 06 has had a beating and I've never had to adjust it. I was climbing a ridge when my then leather strap broke it landed on the scope enough the leave a gash mark, when I shot it it was still zero'd at 200 yds.

Back to yours. Mine done that years ago I bought new rings, same. Bought new scope, same! I could get it zero"d then 2 shots it was all to hell. I went to buy a new gun a friend who shoots competition was there and told me to scrub the barrel. I said I clean my guns after shooting everytime. He handed me a large bottle of Hoppes#9, 2 brushes and told me to run it thru 1000 times. I laughed he said he was serious so I had nothing to lose. I drove home between 2 nights scrubbing I had crap coming from that barrel I couldn't imagine. Went that weekend and shot. It was amazing how good that rifle shoots now.

Also check the crown of your barrel if it has a minor scratch that will throw it off as well.

Good thinking on the barrel I swab them out pretty thoroughly, one reason I like the rolling block on the Ruger #1. I will really scrub it and check the crown as well.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

Those black Winchester bullets are pretty rough on a barrel too...my old .308 Browning auto has never been thoroughly cleaned like..I run a swab thru there every once in a while..but a copper fouled barrel can drive you crazy trying to figure it out...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

11. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Those black Winchester bullets are pretty rough on a barrel too...my old .308 Browning auto has never been thoroughly cleaned like..I run a swab thru there every once in a while..but a copper fouled barrel can drive you crazy trying to figure it out...
    Yes sir, actually I had shot several before my gun started acting up could've been what caused it. I've since moved to Hornady Superformance SST's, very impressive groups.