Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Most sensitive <$120 finesse rod?

Im looking at the Dobyns fury....any other contenders i should look at before pulling the trigger? and please....no "pay an extra $xx and get xxxx brand" type of suggestions.

I will be paying CASH, and $100 is my budget so heading to $120 is already expensive for me....again, i will be paying cash!

LATE EDIT: SPINNING ROD
    Last edited by FishInTheDesert; 10-12-2018 at 10:48 PM.

2. Member
    I’ve had luck with vendetta and the lime
    green 13 fishing rods

3. Banned
    From all my readings (and yes I own several) Dobyns aren’t the most sensitive rods made. Not sure I’d buy one for a rod that needs sensitivity. Not trying to talk you out of it, just want to make you aware of their reputation.

assume you’re looking at spinning rods?
    Last edited by grout-scout; 10-12-2018 at 09:30 PM.

4. Member
    Cashion CRT are nice rods and have good sensitivity.

5. Member
    Spend just a little bit more and get a Phenix feather, the most sensitive rod I've ever used and I use a lot of spinning rods, if was still made, a Falcon Bucco micro would be next, I will be purchasing more of the Phenix rods

For the money these are really hard to beat
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiw...page-DTXT.html

Can not speak for the Dobyns Fury in a finesse rod , but I do own several of there fury casting rods and they are really had to beat for the price ,,,, I own Fury, Savvy, Champion & Champion XP and I don't have any problems with any of the rod not being sensitive enough
    Last edited by River-Bandit; 10-12-2018 at 10:05 PM.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post

Can not speak for the Dobyns Fury in a finesse rod , but I do own several of there fury casting rods and they are really had to beat for the price ,,,, I own Fury, Savvy, Champion & Champion XP and I don't have any problems with any of the rod not being sensitive enough

Pretty good reviews with the Dawia, if you were buying this second (since you have both, I know you said “not the finesse”) which would you go with? Dobyns or Dawia

Phenix Maxim series top out at $120. My OFB splurged (relatively speaking) and bought a Phenix Feather. It doesn't seem that he likes it that well...a bit too little power, I gather. Same trip to Sportsman's Warehouse, I bought a Lew's Mach Speed Stick ($80)...the 7' M is more like a MH...lots of power. I like it a lot. Both spinning rods. The Lew's has enough suds for big SM and probably Stripers, if not Strippers. I'd DS with it, if I wanted to use a jig or Shakyhead on the bottom instead of a sinker. I've got a 2500 Stradic on it, started with 20 lb PP Slick 8 braid + 10 lb FC leader, currently with 8 lb copolymer, but may change to 15 lb 832 braid, probably with a copolymer leader.

We each have a couple of Denali rods, and we are very happy with all four of them...three different models. I have an AttaX series 7' MH trigger stick that I use for Shakyheads, and I do very well with it on straight 10 lb FC. We also have one 13 Fishing rod each...both are seldom used. We're not using them with the right combination of reel/line/bait for the right presentation is all. They're ok, no problems.

I'm actually not sure whether the OP is asking about a spinning rod or baitcaster...just finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Pretty good reviews with the Dawia, if you were buying this second (since you have both, I know you said “not the finesse”) which would you go with? Dobyns or Dawia
    I do like the Dobyns rods but the last 10 rods that I have purchased have all been Diawa except for one Megabass , mostly the Tatula elites but do have a couple of the rods like I put in the link just in the casting version and really do like em ,,, But to answer you question, I would go with the Daiwa,, they are much lighter and a real pleasure to fish with,,

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightningmusky View Post
    Cashion CRT are nice rods and have good sensitivity.
    man I been wanting to try a cashion....but I want something longer than 7 foot! I got it in my head that the longer rods will be more forgiving when it comes time to fight em in!

I know it sounds dumb...but im trying to stay away from the big companies that make reels like daiwa, shimano, lews. I got it in my head that the companies that focus on rod building have a superior product....plus im hoping for a good warranty like Dobyns has. that warranty is epic....and ive already had to test it twice (one major, one minor/tiny thing) and i was sold on them as a company!

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Phenix Maxim series top out at $120. My OFB splurged (relatively speaking) and bought a Phenix Feather. It doesn't seem that he likes it that well...a bit too little power, I gather. Same trip to Sportsman's Warehouse, I bought a Lew's Mach Speed Stick ($80)...the 7' M is more like a MH...lots of power. I like it a lot. Both spinning rods. The Lew's has enough suds for big SM and probably Stripers, if not Strippers. I'd DS with it, if I wanted to use a jig or Shakyhead on the bottom instead of a sinker. I've got a 2500 Stradic on it, started with 20 lb PP Slick 8 braid + 10 lb FC leader, currently with 8 lb copolymer, but may change to 15 lb 832 braid, probably with a copolymer leader.

We each have a couple of Denali rods, and we are very happy with all four of them...three different models. I have an AttaX series 7' MH trigger stick that I use for Shakyheads, and I do very well with it on straight 10 lb FC. We also have one 13 Fishing rod each...both are seldom used. We're not using them with the right combination of reel/line/bait for the right presentation is all. They're ok, no problems.

I'm actually not sure whether the OP is asking about a spinning rod or baitcaster...just finesse.

have you tried the maxim? im not spending more than $120 and was aiming for 100. Never heard of phenix...ill google them a bit. if its a good rod i dont mind 120....ill just have to wait a month or so for a TW sale! lol

12. Banned
    I do like the Dobyns rods but the last 10 rods that I have purchased have all been Diawa except for one Megabass , mostly the Tatula elites but do have a couple of the rods like I put in the link just in the casting version and really do like em ,,, But to answer you question, I would go with the Daiwa,, they are much lighter and a real pleasure to fish with,,
    2 for daiwa.....I do like the price tag!

i want it for dropshots and some finesse tube crackin

13. Member
    Dobyns fury will be hard to beat for the price. My vote is for that within your budget. Great rods and built well.

The only other rod I would suggest in that range is the bass pro pro qualifier rod. Excellent rod as well.

14. Member
    I highly recommend the fenwick elite tech 7'4" mh. At $150 they are above your price point, but you can catch them on sale quite often. I just bought 2 more from land big fish when they had their 25% off labor day sale. That 25% off puts them in your price range. Great rods for the price. They handle everything I use for smallmouth fishing on LSC and the great lakes.

2017 Phoenix 919 Pro-XP 225 Mercury Pro-XS

I’m a fan of st croix rods in any of their price ranges. Stand behind their rods as well. The premier, bass x, and mojo series are all in your price range.

In 150 range Alx ikos series are nice rods.

Reality in that price range most rods are similar. Bps brands are a good option when on sale as well.

17. Member
    I have a St. Croix Premier spinning rod that is in your price range. For me it is plenty sensitive. I use it for shaky heads and finesse worms. Mine is a medium action. For larger baits you may want to go with a MH.

18. Member
    An SCIII Croix Mojo is a pretty damn good stick in you price range

Very nice blank for the money
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    From all my readings (and yes I own several) Dobyns aren’t the most sensitive rods made. Not sure I’d buy one for a rod that needs sensitivity. Not trying to talk you out of it, just want to make you aware of their reputation.

assume you’re looking at spinning rods?
    This is the first I have EVER heard of Dobyns being a low sensitivity rod brand...do tell!?!!
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    have you tried the maxim? im not spending more than $120 and was aiming for 100. Never heard of phenix...ill google them a bit. if its a good rod i dont mind 120....ill just have to wait a month or so for a TW sale! lol

15% off everything at land big fish through the 15th with promo code 18fall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast