Thoughts on these images?

I'm still trying to get used to recognizing fish on my new units (Carbon 12 with 3d).

Lake is Old Hickory (Middle TN). Temps have been dropping this week. Water temp was 73 with these images.

This is a creek channel, a little off the main river channel.

Out of curiosity, I stopped and threw a few different lures - spinner bait, swim baits, deep crankbait, and a carolina rig. I caught one small bass on the carolina rig, but nothing else.

Any thoughts on what sort of fish I may be looking at? Do the size of the arcs on the sonar tell me anything about what kind of fish these are likely to be? (the fish on the bottom vs the ones suspended)

Any tips on improving the side imaging? I feel like I just can't see fish in the water column as easily on these Lowrance units as I could on my Humminbirds. If I bump up the contrast, it helps a little, but not without blowing out everything else. I've tried other color palettes, but they're not much help.

Last edited by TNReb; 10-12-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling

2. Member
    Your screenshots are fine, but your ducer needs to be adjusted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Very good images.
    Team,great info on looking at the arches to determine angle of transducer
    TNreb,very sharp images.what is your technique? Do you open your file on a different app,or just follow the insert image protocol on this web site? my images are always so small,with a limit to the size,so i must be doing something wrong.
    thanks
    john
    Last edited by johnwater; 10-13-2018 at 07:36 AM. Reason: edit

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwater View Post
    Very good images.
    Team,great info on looking at the arches to determine angle of transducer
    TNreb,very sharp images.what is your technique? Do you open your file on a different app,or just follow the insert image protocol on this web site? my images are always so small,with a limit to the size,so i must be doing something wrong.
    thanks
    john
    I exported the screenshot to the SD card, then uploaded them to imgur.com. I then clicked the image button here and chose "from URL" and pasted the imgur URL. I unchecked the box to retrieve file locally. That keeps the the original size.

5. Member
    Good question and I'm anxious to see what comes out of this. I need to spend more time learning my units and right now, I "think" I know what I'm seeing but won't advise anyobdy as I know enough to be stupid on electronics!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Your screenshots are fine, but your ducer needs to be adjusted.
    Thanks. Good info!

7. Member
    Would you mind posting a pic of your xdcr install?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    Any tips on improving the side imaging? I feel like I just can't see fish in the water column as easily on these Lowrance units as I could on my Humminbirds. If I bump up the contrast, it helps a little, but not without blowing out everything else. I've tried other color palettes, but they're not much help.

Looking at the area you have circled, you are not going to see much with side scan set at 35' to each side. I use my side scan to find structure more than fish. I usually have it set @ 120-150' each side. Side scan shows fish as white dots, 2d/fish reveal shows them as arches.

My interpretation of your side scan image. Red circle fish, yellow bait fish. Not much to see side to side.

An image I have @ 140' in 20 feet of water. Right side is of shoreline, docks, rocks, sand structure ridges made by wave action diverted by the docks. Left side large rock pile with possible fish (white dots).

JMO
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

9. Member
    I think they look good. You show your speed at 5.6 mph. I think you will get better readings at a speed of 3.0 mph.