Thread: Trailer tires

Trailer tires

Are any of you guys running 70 series car tires on you trailer? Im wanting something a little wider. 20XD with new tandem axle trailer. thanks, Billy

Some guys do run them, but I won’t. Regular car tires don’t have the sidewalls like trailer tires.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Member
    that's what Bullet use to put on there trailers, but you need a trailer tire, Maxxis are really good tires

Got my first trailer boat in 1975 and have had a few boats. First one to have ST tires was 2000 21XDC and that includes a 92 Champion that came from the factory with car tires. Never had a tire problem. Currently have 60 or 70 series tires on my flat bottom and it rides fine. I would think a 20' Bullet on a tandem could safely ride on just about any tire you would like.

5. Member
    Thanks guys for input.

My suggestion....

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Yea I had the Goodyear Endurance on my single axle trailer before I bought this new tandem trailer they are nice. Im just wanting something a little wider. I see where Bass Cat uses Cooper Cobra on a lot of there trailers and was just curious if anybody here used something like that.

My friend with a BassCat tandem trailer has had more blow outs than everone I fish with combined.... But, He is not one to keep up on maintenance like the rest of us..

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    My suggestion....

I’m with Mike. When my Marathons wear out and they are close, Endurance will be my next tire. Granted, the Marathons I’ve got on now have seen several states and a lot of miles. They’ve been good. Someone’s always going to have a brand that has gave them a bad day. Back in the day I used car tires and had a few episodes that I don’t want to repeat.

For me, Load range "D" is a must. This leaves very few choices in a 14in size wheel.

I agree

I love my g/y endurance tires. The sidewalls are way more stiff than any passenger tire in the same size.
    2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BC20xd View Post
    Are any of you guys running 70 series car tires on you trailer? Im wanting something a little wider. 20XD with new tandem axle trailer. thanks, Billy
    I am and always have on a tandem trailer. The boat rides better on a less stiff side wall and no I don't get sway. With the 20 XD on a tandem you are carrying less than 3500 pounds total. Do the math and that is less than 900 pounds per tire. Up to 4000 pounds total on a tandem, I will run nothing put "P" tires in a radial. If you are approaching 75% of the load rating of a tire then ST tires should be seriously considered. On my particular set up, I am running at about 45% of the tire's rated load.

When adding up all the weight of your rig, Many forget about the weight of the trailer, spare tire/wheel, jackplate, tackle, spare prop, gas, oil, trolling motor, batts, charger, tool kit, etc... The trailer being the big one. Then trying to keep a 20% cushion for the tires max load capacity. I have a single axle trailer and need a beefier tire than tandem guys.

15. Member
    Most single axle trailers will, especially with a 19 foot or longer boat. ST tires make up a tiny fraction of tires built. For the most part they are relatively cheap made tires with a stiffer sidewall, higher pressure and a greatly reduced speed to allow for the extra load. The P tires are much better built, last longer and will ride better as long as you are well with in the load limit of the tires. As I said above the ST is needed when you are approaching maximum load on the P tires. Personally, I think 65-70% of the rated load on the P tires is all one should run. However, running at 80% and properly inflated is likely to be just fine.

16. Banned
    To the OP, I run Cooper Cobras on my tandem 20 foot trailer. I have had extremely good luck with them. They're a couple years old and just this year alone have been from Connecticut to Dallas, Tx, and then over to Watts Bar in Tennessee, and not to mention countless other several hours trips within the state. They're great.

17. Member
    Picked up a boat the other day that had almost new looking uniroyal car tires on them. Never been crazy about car tires on a single axle trailer. 3 hour drive home from east tn., 1/4 mile from tmy house i blew a tire. Wasn't even mad, a blessing a made it almost home. I knew when i bought the boat i was gonna change the tires. Did some research and ended up getting a set of carliles for my trailer. They may not be quite as good as the new good years but had pretty good reviews. No car tires on a single axle trailer for me. Now I've had car tires on a tandum and towed 8 hours in one way and them back with no issues.

What do you think about the Road Hugger Radial G/T
    Thanks