Buying a 97 ranger 488vs

I am picking this boat up today for 5k. It has a 93 200hp mercury efi. From the pictures and videos it all looks good. Does this seem like a good deal? And any tips on common issues with this boat?

2. Member
    I had one great boat nice ride, might want to get the motor checked out?

3. Member
    5K would be a great deal assuming the motor is sound and the hull has no major damage. Check all deck lids for cracks, latches on the deck lids, gas shocks that hold the rod lockers open, check trailer brakes and tires. Check the wiring and all switches and lights. Crawl under the boat with a creeper and visually check the bottom for any gouges or chips down to the fiberglass. Inspect the bow eye and surrounding area for damage. Take your shoes off and walk around the deck and floor to feel for soft spots. Check the rub rail to see if it is loose anywhere. Water test to see if it takes on any water. Run the motor a few miles at speed. A re-carpet job on that boat could run $1500+ so take that into account. Make sure you are very thorough so you don't overlook anything you wish you would have seen before making the deal.

I'm sure some Merc guys will chime in on what to look for with that Motor.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thawk21 View Post
    I am picking this boat up today for 5k. It has a 93 200hp mercury efi. From the pictures and videos it all looks good. Does this seem like a good deal? And any tips on common issues with this boat?
    Interesting they re-powered it with a motor that is 4 years older than the boat....

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    do the carpet yourself not too hard and reasonable price from Ranger I re-did my couple months ago cost me about $240 and took me about a week and a half to finish it would of ben quicker if I had a garage but had to wait on weather a few times.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years