Blank for Stripers

My boss's boss is going to be leaving the company and I want to build him a rod, he's been a good dude. He just finished building a house on Lake Hartwell and while he's casually fished most of his life it sounds like since he's been on Hartwell he's really been enjoying the stripers there.

I've caught a decent number of hybrids but haven't ever gone after the straight stripers, just none really around here. Not sure what blank would be a good one. It's going to have to be built as a spinning rod.

I'm thinking just a Rod Geeks B2 7'6" MH. Sounds like he throws some scroungers, spoons, bucktails and spooks. Anyone else have a suggestion?

2. Member
    I'd go Point Blank. The power to weight ratio is one of the best.

Their site shows the hard specs as well.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogrich31 View Post
    I'd go Point Blank. The power to weight ratio is one of the best.

Their site shows the hard specs as well.
    That's a great suggestion, I've built a couple but PB didn't even cross my mind for some reason.

I wouldn't go PB. Way too expensive for stripers. On Hartwell he is going to be seeing 2-30# fish. If he's really in them, there will be an oddball larger.

Keep in mind he's liable to rub this rod on the rail at some point when one makes a run under the boat. Most popular rods are Ugly Stiks.

I'd go back to your original manufacturer suggestion. I think you are more spot on there. You also need to find out how big the baits are. A lot of guys are throwing the Ben Parker Spoons now at stripers.

Blank efficiency isn't a huge concern here... durability is.