Blank Recommendations

Wanting something 7’ give or take an inch to throw 1/4 - 1/2 ounce rattle traps in shallow water in the spring. Would like to keep the blank $100 or less. Suggestions?

Thank you!

Rod geeks s glass 7' mhm

3. Member
    I've been building a few of the RG S glass HM's lately, only comes 7'9" but I've been trimming off the 9" without a problem. Actually did one for chatterbaits where I took 8" off the butt and 1" off the tip that turned out really nice. If you're gonna be rippin through grass then I'd say try the HM but otherwise the MHM that ridgerunner said would be a good one too.

4. Member
    This will be open water flats. Thanks guys, will have a look at those.

Yeah the 7 Mhm wont have enuff backbone to do much ripping. But for open water or light cover it's tough to beat for any treble hooked lure in its spec weight range

6. Member
    Look at the MHX Blanks. They have an MBR 843 and 844. These are similar if not virtually identical to the Loomis MBR blanks. They fish similar to the classic IMX blanks. I think they would be better than a true cranking blank or to a bottom contact bait. I use my MHX MBR 843 for a wide variety of baits including traps and spinnerbaits. It is excellent at those.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    From our Rainshadow lineup we'd recommend the Revelation REVCB70M (MH if you go bigger than 1/2oz.)

You can see the specs at: http://www.rainshadowrodblanks.com/p...ass-crankbait/
    The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

8. Member
    I built a rattle trap rod this summer on the MHX CB845 Blend from Mudhole , I'm very pleased with it. Seems to launch a trap a country mile to cover open flats with.
    Will probably build a 2nd for a buddy who likes really well too.
    Roger Ross
    Piedmont Mo.
    Bass Cat / Yamaha

9. Member
    The Revelation blanks mentioned would be my choice. Although I'd go with at least the medium heavy power and with you're throwing them on a nylon or co poly mono filament, the heavy power.

10. Member
    Thank you for all the input. A lot of choices

11. Member
    MHX high mod medium heavy popping blank would be my choice for trap work in shallow, open water.

Phenix X-10 would be a good one but just a little over your budget ($109 at Mudhole). I use it for jerkbaits, medium diving cranks around sparse weeds, and smaller lipless baits. Step up to the X-11 if you want a little more power.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    I will keep an eye on sales between now and black friday and hopefully load up on a few of the ones mentioned.

14. Member
    What do you guys think about one of the RainShadow E glass blanks for a shallow open water trap rod? Pretty economical and maybe a good choice since I am still quite new at this?

I honestly think you would regret building on that blank for that purpose. Not that it's a bad blank, but that cool thing about custom builds is tailoring a build to a specific task... pretty much every blank listed above will likely make you happier. I know you can save money on the blank but if you aren't satisfied you've wasted everything spent on the whole project

16. Member
    Solid points thank you. It is very easy to stray off path there are so many options.

17. Member
    Thank you for all the input. I looked over every one of the suggestions and reviews extensively and I ended up going with a Bushido crankbait blank. 7’2” MF M. Looking forward to putting it together.