Thread: Diawa SV reels?

Diawa SV reels?

What does the SV stand for?

2. Member
    Stress-Free/Versitile

What actually makes them a SV instead of the CT? Stupid questions? Maybe but, I am trying to learn............

It means awesome in Japanese

Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    What actually makes them a SV instead of the CT? Stupid questions? Maybe but, I am trying to learn............
    They Daiwa CT and Daiwa CT SV are the same...except one has an SV spool

6. Member
    Here is a whole video on the SV concept

7. Member
    You want control go with the SV. You want distance stick to a regular spool.

8. Banned
    I’m pretty sure CT is “compact” frame. I assume SV could apply to any size reel as it is related to the “stress free versatile” braking system not the size.

Although fluke1987 could be on to something and I’m completely off base.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    I’m pretty sure CT is “compact” frame. I assume SV could apply to any size reel as it is related to the “stress free versatile” braking system not the size.

Although fluke1987 could be on to something and I’m completely off base.
    SV in any reel name means the reel has an SV spool. Reels arent SV. Spools are.

just to confuse the hell out of you, the Daiwa SV105 reel is actually a Daiwa Alphas frame based reel with an SV spool that is the shallow 105 size.

Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post

just to confuse the hell out of you, the Daiwa SV105 reel is actually a Daiwa Alphas frame based reel with an SV spool that is the shallow 105 size.

Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post

is there a spool to put in the 105 that will give a little more line capacity .. I seem to spool my 105's pretty easy.
    I made the switch to Daiwa this year and really love them .

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeod View Post
    is there a spool to put in the 105 that will give a little more line capacity .. I seem to spool my 105's pretty easy.
    They are a light bait, small diameter line reel. What line are you using?

Agreed, the SV105/Alphas SV are a light bait/small line diameter reel - I have a few on 2-3 powered rods and can spool them too easily, so probably going to swap them out for OG Steez's or something along those lines... Or you can use them with low diameter braid as well to help offset the lower spool capacity.

Other posters pretty much have it - SV is a spool design, and many Daiwa reels now utilize it, but they also offer models that do not (although than number seems to be dwindling). I believe it first appeared in large volume at least in the T3 or Steez SV 6.3 line, then they moved into the now discontinued but still excellent SV103/105 series, and have since expanded into the rest of the line, ie current Steez, Zillion, and Tatula, as well as some new models introduced this year.

As a general rule, SV is better for control, as it is essentially a more aggressive yet refined braking system - so excels in lighter bait presentations. Also, on the opposite end of the spectrum, it's also works well for pitching, as well as skipping baits. Standard, traditional spools are better at pure casting presentations or where distance is a priority. But, for as many folks you find looking for SV reels or adding SV spools to their current reels, you'll find another segment looking for ways to reduce the amount of control the SV system adds, either by swapping out to heavier TD-Z springs or complete spool changes.

I've moved away from SV for the most part, it is a great idea, and can really help with spool control, but not everyone really needs it except in specific circumstances. I initially tried using it for almost everything (every reel was either an SV103 or SV105) and slowly started reverting back - first on pure casting presentations such as crankbaits, jerkbaits, topwater, buzzbaits, carolina rig, etc. I stuck with it on my bottom contact setups for pitching and flipping jigs and creatures, etc and it works fine there, but even so have started to move away from SV there as well. Currently I'm mostly using older TD-Z's, OG Steez 100/103's, J Dreams, and one new current Steez A b/c I wanted to try out the revised TWS. Oh and a Zillion Type R on my Punch/Frog setup.

Back to the SV105/Alphas SV - I find them more controllable than say a tuned up pixy, but still somewhat sketchy in actual use, which is surprising. I recall reading others who saw the same issues, but after getting them super tuned (by Ian, I think), they started acting like one would expect them to. I did a bit of self-tuning, and added ZPI Office bearings but they are still probably my least favorite reels of the ones I own, especially with any line diamter over about 10lb or so. I much prefer the Original Steez over them, for instance. The SV103's however are excellent, a Zillion sized frame but utilizing a 34mm SV spool, which easily offers the most upgrade options. The older frames with 36mm spools you are limited to only a few upgrade options. However if you get a J Dream or Limited, you really don't need to change much anyway :).

Too bad Daiwa discontinued the SV103, it's the Zillion we wanted for years and then they only made it for two years I think, then changing over the TWS setup - first those fat 1516's and then the slightly less portly 1514's. TWS required a wider frame across the board when first introduced, but they have been able to revise it to get the frame width almost back to normal...

Anyway, did I really just type all this... I'm sitting here fuming at my state possibly flipping Blue tonight and getting angrier by the minute :(.

Bottom line, SV is good, in the right presentation. It's also good for beginners or folks with less educated thumbs, don't fish often, etc or for family/shared reels where you don't know who might be using it, etc. If I was a guide all my setups would have SV or DC of some sort :).
    Last edited by 78Staff; 11-06-2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling n stuff

14. Member
    Nice post Mark. My first SV reel was the Alphas 105. Backlashed more than any other reel I've owned. Even though it was backlashing, I felt the braking was too much. Sent it to Ian. He upgraded, tuned and did some work on the spool. Very nice reel now. I agree with you about the SV and DC reels.

15. Member
    The SV103 reels are great. Too bad Daiwa quit making them��

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks Mark, that broke it down better than I’ve ever read!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Glad to help - don't mean to sound like a SV hater - it's a great technology and impressive what you can do with it. Being in Florida I just don't use much light line/light bait gear so am mainly sticking to the older Mag tech. Heck I finally picked up a TWS reel to try lol - a Steez A TWS - and finding it very different. Has a single disk drag, and a line clicking drag, which really threw me at first lol. There were so many issues reported when TWS first came out, I just stayed away. But sounds like they've got it refined now, so we'll see how it does.

Thanks for the Info, Daiwa for Dummies...

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    The SV103 reels are great. Too bad Daiwa quit making them😡
    That's why I own ten of SV103 reels! Five in the 6.3:1 and five in the 7.9:1. Most haven't even seen water and are NIB as backups. They are currently my favorite reels ever made. And I have 5 of the SV105 reels. Two in the 5.8:1, two in the 7.2:1, and one JDM Alphas version in the 7.2:1. Great reels with so many parts options for each platform. Best wishes on the water!

20. Big Fish in a Small Pond hoohoorjoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeod View Post
    You made a good switch. I have been all-Daiwa for about 5 yrs now. The original Alphas/Sol spool holds 110 yds of 12# line. The Megabass Zonda spool holds 100 yds of 14# line, but those spools aren't available apart from the reel. I have one in an Alphas Finesse Custom....and it is sweet! I also own 5 other Alphas-frame reels, and 4 out of those 5 have Alphas SV spools added. I just use braid to overcome the lower line capacity. I also have a few Steez, TD-Zs and Fuegos without the SV spools and I enjoy those for pure distance casting.
    Last edited by hoohoorjoo; 11-22-2018 at 09:08 PM.
    The best revenge is to have enough self-worth not to seek it.