Vexus 1980 speed

What kind of speeds have you guys with 1980s been getting out your boats loaded? Asking for a friend, also what prop has worked best for you? He has the regular Merc 4-stroke 150 with a and has seen 58. Curious to see if anyone has gotten any better.

2. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    i think you will find mid to upper 50's is the standard - heard a few people say more ..

hopefully some AVX1980 will chime in with their numbers

3. Member
    Mine has a ProXS 150 and I’ve been upto 58 mph. But still breaking it in and it had a little throttle left in it, so maybe 60 is possible.

Colder air temp and just the right chop, both of which are needed for best top end speed.

5. Member
    Mine has touched 60 mph briefly a few times. 3/4 loaded w/1 person and full tank of gas. No water in live well.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog619 View Post
    Mine has touched 60 mph briefly a few times. 3/4 loaded w/1 person and full tank of gas. No water in live well.
    Are you sure you're not 5/8 loaded?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Are you sure you're not 5/8 loaded?
    you might be correct but I was unwilling to do the math, since I play with numbers all day at work!!

8. Member
    This boat for sure is no speedster, but it has stability, storage, ride. This weekend got out on mine and very impressed how wind friendly this boat is. On speed I have rude gen 2 only getting 54

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpayne View Post
    This boat for sure is no speedster, but it has stability, storage, ride. This weekend got out on mine and very impressed how wind friendly this boat is. On speed I have rude gen 2 only getting 54

I have a 1980 sadly in the shop right now to a motor failure. But I was running 58.5 loaded full tank of gas and a full livewell along with all of my tournament gear. Hoping my new motor runs the same speed. I have a mercury fourstroke 150. I have absolutely fallen in love with the boat. It fishes amazing and has been more boat then I ever thought it could be.

10. bayousmallie
    What happened to your motor?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayousmallie View Post
    What happened to your motor?
    The harmonic balancer failed. When it did it filled the engine full of metal. It was bad enough that the dealer is replacing the whole motor with only 13 hours on it. My ultrex had the board in the foot go out the same day. But I couldn’t ask for more on customer service. Ryan at Vexus has been non stop helping get everything fixed along with Toho Marine down here in Florida they have gone all in on getting my boat fixed.

12. bayousmallie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkyle77 View Post
    The harmonic balancer failed. When it did it filled the engine full of metal. It was bad enough that the dealer is replacing the whole motor with only 13 hours on it. My ultrex had the board in the foot go out the same day. But I couldn’t ask for more on customer service. Ryan at Vexus has been non stop helping get everything fixed along with Toho Marine down here in Florida they have gone all in on getting my boat fixed.
    Sorry to hear and yea Ryan is a very good person he will go out of his way for you. Also Keith would do the same. I have met them both along with Forrest and Nina which are Keiths Grandparents.
    This is the best boat company I had dealing with.

13. Member
    the new 150 pro xs fourstroke??

14. Member
    [QUOTE=IowaAngler;9765425]the new 150 pro xs fourstroke??[/QUOTE

It was the standard Mercury 150 4s, since I’ve been told I’m only one with a Mercury 150 ProXS so far.

15. Member
    [QUOTE=Desertdog619;9767219]
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaAngler View Post
    the new 150 pro xs fourstroke??[/QUOTE

It was the standard Mercury 150 4s, since I’ve been told I’m only one with a Mercury 150 ProXS so far.
    Yes it is the standard 150. It was a long wait with the earliest being the beginning of next year for the proxs.

16. Member
    [QUOTE=Jkyle77;9768459]
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog619 View Post

Yes it is the standard 150. It was a long wait with the earliest being the beginning of next year for the proxs.
    Yes that’s correct. My dealer pulled some strings to get me at ProXS 150.