Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

03 Stratos 201 Fuel tank

I know it has been discussed many times on here about the issues with the fuel tanks and gauges on these boats. I finally got tired of my gauge not reading correctly so I pull the seats out and pulled the gas tank out. I removed the sending unit and found it is a 12". Based on some quick calcs it seems about right that my gauge reads E and I have about 1/2 tank still left since the bottom 4" of the tank contain about 29 gallons of the 51. So my questions is, I am replacing the sending unit with a longer one so it will read the lower part of the tank better. They say the sending unit should be 1" shorter than the tank, why is that? Can I install a 13 1/2" unit, that would mean I am only 1/2" off the bottom

2. Member
    I'm not sure but maybe since the boat will bounce up/down on the water and the extra amount will keep it from bottoming out in heavy water.

Check your measurements again. I don't think your tank is that deep. 1/2" clearance should be fine.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

4. Member
    Are you able to post pictures? Would be a good addition to top as sticky. What type fuel sender you using? I was,thinking of adding an electronic fuel flow sender to measure consumption and carry less gas

5. Member
    Would love to know this too and do a mod. My gauge reads pretty close to yours

6. Member
    I will let you know how it works out, ordered a new WEMA 13 1/2 unit. I did some checking on the 12 sender that was installed and my gauge reads E with the float 1-1/2in from the bottom of the shaft so that means I get to E with over 20 gals left in the tank which is about right. I have never put over 30 couple gals in it and I would run it to E and keep running it until I got nervous.

7. Member
    It had a WEMA 12in sender installed from new so I went with the same model just longer to get to the bottom

8. Member
    Explains why mine seems on empty and still have lots in tank. Did you have to cut the fiberglass or increase the hole size to remove the original fuel sender?

9. Member
    Kbass, you have a link to what you used? Have you tried it? Mine seems to have about the same amount of has left at empty, but it keeps me nervous about it.

10. Member
    Have tried it yet, just ordered the replacement. I will post results once I get it installed and see how it works. I ordered as long of one as I think I can get to fit in the tank so I can get as close to the bottom as possible. Google WEMA sending unit and it will come up. I bought mine from http://www.fisheriessupply.com/wema-...er-tank-sensor
    You just have to select the length you need. It is a 5 hole installation so nothing to cut or change, pull out the old one and slid in the new one. hardest part was getting all the screws out to get the cover off and then pulling the tank forward with fuel in it. I would run your tank as low as possible before you try it. I should have it the new sender this week

11. Member
    Awesome. Please let me know how it works. If it's better, I'll order one this week. This is my #1 biggest problem with this boat. I'm assuming both the 200 and the 201 share the same tank? I think mine is a 51 gallon or so.

12. Member
    New sending unit arrived, I will get it installed this weekend and let you know how it works.

13. Member
    Awesome. Really looking forward to seeing how it works for you. Also curious on how hard the install was for you

14. Member
    Update, new sender is installed and I am happy so far. I measured how much fuel was in the tank before I put the new sender in, it was 2 3/4". The old sender was on E and had been. I stayed on the water about 1/2 day with it on E last time I was out just moving from spot to spot no long run. I wired and installed the new sender and the gauge reads about halfway betweeen 1/4 and E, so about 1/8 of a tank. That is what I was hoping for, now I think E is going to be E, maybe even swimming. Have to run it down and fill up to see what is what from this point on. As best I can measure myself my tank is 55.5" across the boat, 30" deep and 13 1/2" high. Its hard to measure exact so these are approx measurements. The bottom part of the L on the floor is 4 1/2" deep. So if my math is right 55.5x30x4.5=7492.5 /281=26.66 gals in the bottom part of the tank. I bought a 13 1/2" sender, it measured 13 1/4" from the bottom of the flange to the tip of the float stop. Add the approx 1/8" for the gasket I am guessing I am 1/2" off the bottom of the tank. Hardest part of the job is getting the screws out that hold the cover in place. Had to take the seats out, remove all the screws around the cover and pull the cover out. After that I slid the tank forward enough to get to the sender. Changing the sender is easy.

Please keep us posted. I have been through the same thing except I had a regular float style to start with. Mine reads about where yours did when you still had the 12" WEMA installed. I may have installed the wrong length WEMA sender in mine many years ago thinking the tank was only 12" deep. Did you measure the depth of the tank where the sender fits? The reason I ask is you have a 13 1/2" sender fitting in a tank that you measured at 13 1/2" tall. The gasket will give you 1/8" height off the bottom plus the extra 1/4" that you got from the actual length measured from under the sender flange. However, the wall thickness of the tank is around 1/4". Maybe the only clearance you have is the thickness of the gasket? If that is the case I can't see it punching a hole in it. The material the tank is made of is tough.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

16. Member
    For the sender I measured from the bottom of the tank inside to the top of the outside where the sender mounts. I removed the old sender and put a tape down through the hole where the sender goes to get the measurement because I wanted to make sure I got it right since I was installing a 13 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kbass View Post
    For the sender I measured from the bottom of the tank inside to the top of the outside where the sender mounts. I removed the old sender and put a tape down through the hole where the sender goes to get the measurement because I wanted to make sure I got it right since I was installing a 13 1/2.
    Thanks Kbass! I am so tired of worrying about it. I have been just filling it up each time I go. It would be nice to not haul around 51 gallons when I don't need to.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

18. Member
    I just ordered one. I hope it works. If it does I definitely owe you a beer.

19. Member
    Got mine in today. Finding all the little screws was definitely the hardest part of the job. Glad I got it in, boat is about in empty. I owe you a beer, would've never thought about doing this.

20. Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast