Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disappointed in GT-52

I came from the HELIX mega my SI and DI was nothing short of astounding. I decided to go to 7612s and I cannot believe how terrible my SI and DI are. It looks like the traditional 2d is on par or better than the HELIX. But looking at my side imaging makes me want to cry compared to the much cheaper HELIX units. Is it possible that my units need to be updated or something? I set up my transducer in the same manner as the Humminbird units.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I think all their ducer are about the same.....anything that is close to Mega would be the UHD system.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. BBC SPONSOR
    You will defiantly want to upgrade to the GCV™ 20 Ultra HD Scanning Sonar Black Box with GT34UHD-TM Ultra HD Transom Mount Transducer! Then you will see what you were use to seeing with the Humminbird displays! Also the GT8 in hull transducer for you 2D image since the GT34 is side imaging only. This will give you a depth reading while on pad also.

The GT-52 is not the Transducer that needs to be paired with the 7612 displays. The GT50M would have been better but still not the detail you would have wanted.

Its not the unit its the Transducer. Call me if you have any other questions. We take trades and have tons of Garmin in stock! We would love to help you out.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Uhd is way better

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBoatElectronics.com View Post
    You will defiantly want to upgrade to the GCV™ 20 Ultra HD Scanning Sonar Black Box with GT34UHD-TM Ultra HD Transom Mount Transducer! Then you will see what you were use to seeing with the Humminbird displays! Also the GT8 in hull transducer for you 2D image since the GT34 is side imaging only. This will give you a depth reading while on pad also.

The GT-52 is not the Transducer that needs to be paired with the 7612 displays. The GT50M would have been better but still not the detail you would have wanted.

Its not the unit its the Transducer. Call me if you have any other questions. We take trades and have tons of Garmin in stock! We would love to help you out.
    The Gt34uhd does not have DI?
    Also could you elaborate a little more why the GT 50’is better suited to the 7610 than the GT52
    Im not questioning your statement but would like to know as I have no ideal
    thanks

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The UHD does have DI....

7. BBC SPONSOR
    The GT50M is a 300W Traditional and 500W ClearVu/SideVu Transducer and the GT52 is a 250W Traditional and 350W ClearVu/SideVu Transducer. You will have better returns on the GT50 for side and down. Just more powerful.

And sorry for the confusion. The GT34UHD transducer is side and down but does not have traditional sonar in it. Thats why you would need the GT8 transducer for traditional sonar.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    1-800-931-9926

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter 1 View Post
    why the GT 50’is better suited to the 7610 than the GT52
    You can reasonably compare the capability of detail of side and down imaging by comparing the specs of the transducers. This would be comparing within the Garmin brand as the specifications are all at -3db. The specs of other brands may not be at -3db so it's difficult to compare apples to apples by looking at spec sheets. Some time back I did an on-the-water comparison of the GT50 with the Lowrance LSS1. I found them to be equivalent. Others looked at the same screenshots and felt differently. I still stand by that comparison and my conclusion.

GT50M-TM 1.1x53@455 0.7x 30@800
    GT51M-TM 2.0x51@260 1.4x29@455
    GT52HW-TM 2.0x50@455 1.0x30@800

Yes the GT34UHD has side and down imaging and is better than all three listed above.
    SideVu 0.44x55@1060-1170
    ClearVu 0.74x46@760-880
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

9. Member
    Leonard, How does the GT30-TM compare to the transduces youhave listed?
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

10. Member
    GT30 1.4x53@455 and 0.8x30@800 puts it close to the GT50. I've not looked recently, but the GT50 has been pricey. For the money, the GT30 is a better buy. Now, I've not used a GT30 so I'm not speaking from personal experience, but my experience with Garmin products is that they perform according to the specs. I think there is an added benefit. I can't prove this but it is my opinion, based on experience that there is slightly better performance of the GT8 and GT15 as a standalone 2d transducer then when the same element is incorporated into a combo transducer. The GT8 element is found in the GT52 & GT22. The GT15 element is found in the GT50 & GT51. So when you use the GT30 and split out the 2d to either the GT8 or GT15 I think you have the best of the best 2d. And on that I recommend the GT15 over the GT8. The GT15 is more sensitive, more flexible and more powerful. The only decent competitor that I know of is the Airmar TM150. I have one in the garage. The GT15 is on the boat. This is one of the benefits of the 7400/7600 series. They have two xd ports. Gives you more options.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Member
    That's some very helpful information, thank you
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

12. Member
    Sorry guys I thought I had subscribed to this thread and would see responses. Apprarently not. From what Im gathering I have to spend another 1000 dollars to get images that are not even up to par with mega on the helix? I thought that by paying more I was going to get a better product in Garmin but I am not so sure. The adjustibiity is not there for dialing in setting either. My helix cost less by a large margin, included the ducer, and in every way I can see was just as good as these Garmin units. I dont thing the side and down imaging is even as good as my old 1098 unit. Now that is bad. Now that I am stuck with these Garmins I am hoping I can learn to enjoy them and get them dialed in. Its hard to believe I have to spend so much and add extra black boxes to compete with a Humminbird unit that isnt even the flagship model.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelcrazy View Post
    Sorry guys I thought I had subscribed to this thread and would see responses. Apprarently not. From what Im gathering I have to spend another 1000 dollars to get images that are not even up to par with mega on the helix? I thought that by paying more I was going to get a better product in Garmin but I am not so sure. The adjustibiity is not there for dialing in setting either. My helix cost less by a large margin, included the ducer, and in every way I can see was just as good as these Garmin units. I dont thing the side and down imaging is even as good as my old 1098 unit. Now that is bad. Now that I am stuck with these Garmins I am hoping I can learn to enjoy them and get them dialed in. Its hard to believe I have to spend so much and add extra black boxes to compete with a Humminbird unit that isnt even the flagship model.
    You can spend what you want but the HB will still be superior to anything out there. The is no "dialing in" the Garmin si/di. I spent months telling myself the same thing and finally sold it all and bought Solix and Helix.

Before they release new units to replace the five year old 76XX series you may want to reevaluate the situation.

The Livescope is good so far!!

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    From what Im gathering I have to spend another 1000 dollars to get images that are not even up to par with mega on the helix?
    $1K for what system??? The Garmin UHD is under $600 with shipping.....again, it's not better than Mega.....

Now that I am stuck with these Garmins
    Why are you stuck??? You can sell and go back to HB at anytime you want.......

Also what was the reasoning for leaving HB??

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Don't settle for what you don't want! We can trade the 7612's in for Humminbird. I would consider your options and research what you want your units to do and your fishing needs. Your units are awesome units they just need the right setup of transducers and they will show you everything you need. Plus the LiveScope is where you want to go! It is a huge game changer. I would trade me your GT52 and buy the UHD and GT8. $520.00 difference! It wont be better than the Humminbird but it will be close! Going from MEGA to the GT52 I would be very unhappy also!!! What transducer are you running on the Trolling Motor?
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    1-800-931-9926

16. Member
    My intention for changing to Garmin was their acquisition of Navionics, it also seemed that Garmin was pushing the envelope with new technologies such as livescope and panoptix, I have also heard that other areas are better in functionality with more robust internal GPS. I guess I did not know how good I had it with Humminbird. The only problem with switching units is I have a 7612xsv and 7612 and they are flush mounted in a bay boat. I highly doubt a 12 inch unit from Humminbird is going to match my hole pattern from the 7612s. If I could swap to Two solix units right now I undoubtedly would. This is in no way a knock on Garmin as I am sure they suit people well. I have yet to try quickdraw maybe it works better than autochart live. I do not run a transducer on the trolling motor. The boat came with a small simrad unit which I removed. It had a thruhull ducer which remains intstalled.

17. Banned
    Trust me, I feel the same as you. I went from HB 998's to 7600 series units. I also have a GT52 and GT15. Can't say I'm even remotely impressed with the imaging. Feel like a 5 year step backwards from the 5 year old 998's that were replaced. Functionally, they're ok, I guess. Some interface changes would be nice to make moving around a lot easier. And consolidate the menus, clean them up. They're confusing sometimes with how far down you need to drill to get to a setting. Or a setting for something won't be where you'd expect it to be.

I use mine for finding structure and marking way points. Not sure I'd even benefit from livescope since I fish fast and shallow. Like you I think it's crazy I need to spend another $600, on top of the $3000 I already spent, just to get imaging that's slightly better than 5-6 year old HB's that have long since been discontinued and cost 1/3. The mapping on Garmin sucks if you fish any lake that Garmin hasn't mapped. You have zero options here.

For the money HB's are a better choice if imaging is all you care about. If you want to play with the new, shiny, better suited for deeper, slower fishing Livescope and don't care as much about imaging or mapping then Garmin is a good choice.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Trust me, I feel the same as you. I went from HB 998's to 7600 series units. I also have a GT52 and GT15. Can't say I'm even remotely impressed with the imaging. Feel like a 5 year step backwards from the 5 year old 998's that were replaced. Functionally, they're ok, I guess. Some interface changes would be nice to make moving around a lot easier. And consolidate the menus, clean them up. They're confusing sometimes with how far down you need to drill to get to a setting. Or a setting for something won't be where you'd expect it to be.

I use mine for finding structure and marking way points. Not sure I'd even benefit from livescope since I fish fast and shallow. Like you I think it's crazy I need to spend another $600, on top of the $3000 I already spent, just to get imaging that's slightly better than 5-6 year old HB's that have long since been discontinued and cost 1/3. The mapping on Garmin sucks if you fish any lake that Garmin hasn't mapped. You have zero options here.

For the money HB's are a better choice if imaging is all you care about. If you want to play with the new, shiny, better suited for deeper, slower fishing Livescope and don't care as much about imaging or mapping then Garmin is a good choice.
    I wish that I had not flush mounted these units because they would be out of my boat. I would be way better off with Solix units. I am hoping that I can find a setup that works at this point without too much complication and additional money. Wish I knew how good the humminbird imaging actually was when I had it. I am sure Garmin has its pluses and I will be able to eventually focus on the positives just bummed about more money and more components.

19. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I guess this is a good thread as what is most important to each person some just like to look at rocks and such while others want to stay planted on a spot and see fish hitting their bait.Having looked at garmin and birds the garnin will be a better choice for my fishing style .I can see rocks etc on my Lowrance which I have posted here and it looks very good but catching fish with out sonar on is pretty hard.In my thinking scope along with birds would be bad ass up front .

20. Member
    My issue is with my current setup I cannot tell the difference between stumps and rocks, I cant see fish shadows, undulations in the bottom that were clear as day before just do not exist, I feel as if being in SI is a waste of time because the information gathering capability I had before Is gone. Now I can really just tell “something is there”. This is Humminbird SI imaging quality just about when they first released it. If I had the money for livescope or panoptix I would have it. But I normally troll so its a bit less useful for me than others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast