Thread: Towing a pop up

Towing a pop up

I am considering a pop up camper. I have had several bumper pulls and one goose neck so I am familiar with pulling them. I will probably go with the largest size pop up trailer that Forest River makes. The 29 sc is one model I like. I will be towing with a Ram 1500 ecodiesel so I am not worried about basic pulling. The weight is well under what my truck is rated for.
    My question is how do pop ups pull compared to bumper pulls?
    If both weighed the same, would the pop up be easier to tow because of its low profile? If so, is the difference significant?
    Oh, one other completely different question. If a covered storage area is not available do the covers perform well as far as basic protection ?

2. Member
    We have the Flagstaff high wall HW27SC popup. My wife pulls it with her Explorer with 6 cylinder engine and has no problems at all. Suprisingly the gas mileage drops very little when pulling it. We do use sway bars. Can't help you concerning the cover. Ours stays inside when not in use.

Pop ups are MUCH easier to tow. Towed one for years with a mini van without any trouble.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

4. Member
    The fabric covers suck. Been there and done it. Bought a "very good" one and it lasted less than a year. Get a shed to park it under, you will be better off.

5. Member
    We had a tandem axle large pop-up, it towed great. Wish I still had it.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors