91 Faststrike 150 Starter just Spins doesn't engage

Took the starter off, felt up in the head and there is a ~ 2" gear that spins freely.
    It's as if the bendix doesn't push the gear up like in a car kinda sound, but it doesn't have a bendix and the gear is in the head.
    I selected F-N-R and that stops the power like it should but then it just whirls....
    Starter is barely 1 year old and hasn't missed a start.
    Verified 12.5 VDC at Starter to Gnd.

Have I totally lost it? It ran fine yesterday, Perfect.

If you want to hear it or skype reply back and I will show a video via my cell.

Denny
    Last edited by DLinzy; 10-11-2018 at 06:57 PM.

There is a Bendix on that motor. The starter system is a gear reduction type. You must remove the
    flywheel cover to access it. Be careful removing the timing pickup wheel.

3. Member
    Crazy Q.... Is there supposed to be a Gear on the shaft of the Starter held on by a strange C-CLip? If so mine has spun off and is inside the flywheel cover.

Denny

4. Member
    It looks just like this, did the gear come off?
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    It does NOT look like this...

6. Member
    Yep. should have the gear and retainer. If your lucky you might be able to dig around and get them to fall out. Be real careful if you take off the timing encoder, they are no longer available and almost impossible to find.

7. Member
    I have had this exact issue before. If you have the original manual there is a procedure for greasing the shaft that the bendix slides up. After doing this I have never had a problem since.

8. Member
    Your starter like 316 said should have a gear and retainer snap ring holding it on. Your "Bendix" brand name for a drive gear. That is on a jack shaft. The starter spins the gear which speed (centrifugal force ) sends the starter drive into the flywheel. Couple of things can go wrong. first thing no gear on your starter is going to be Number #1. Have to have the gear. Next starter speed. Low battery voltage while cranking or faulty starter. Both problems will not send the drive gear up into the flywheel. Drive gear on jack shaft stuck on shaft or rubber "clutch" has gone bad and goes into flywheel and just spins but does not turn engine. These are some of the common issues. Like it was said though. Need a gear on the end of the starter.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06matt View Post
    I have had this exact issue before. If you have the original manual there is a procedure for greasing the shaft that the bendix slides up. After doing this I have never had a problem since.
    Be really careful doing this. If you get any grease on the rubber it will ruin the drive also use the right grease.

10. Member
    Well sometimes you get lucky... Not lucky enough to find the snap ring, so i improvised with a c-clip n safety wire.

Shes Spinning like a top! Starts Perfect again. Thanks everyone for all the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    Well sometimes you get lucky... Not lucky enough to find the snap ring, so i improvised with a c-clip n safety wire.

Shes Spinning like a top! Starts Perfect again. Thanks everyone for all the help.

12. Member
    Sweet!