Prop Reworked Twice!!! Buy new prop???

Had my prop fixed due to launching in 2ft of water like an idiot and now i've sent my prop in twice to be reworked due to performance issues.
    1st due to lack of stern lift and low RPM and now it has the stern lift and gained a little RPM but still 200 below max. I'm hitting 5,550 RPM and 57MPH with rooster about 2ft above engine. 225 Etec H.O. on 206 Champion.

Would it be best to lower engine for more bite to gain speed or will I lose speed as RPM might drop???

I do notice the steering is much easy than prior to the repair but water pressure is still ok.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

2. Member
    You will loose RPM dropping motor lower. are you hitting 5550 when fully trimmed up wot?

If you know you have the correct prop for your set up and the shop that did the work on it is well known and reputable I would say you are ok a shop should tell you when its too far gone or recommend a replacement... but others on here definitely will have more knowledge on this so i'd seew what they have to say...

You may want to report back on here what your current pad to prop height is and what your wot water pressure is.

If your fully trimmed up to the max on a wot run and pushing 5550 I bet you can lift your engine another 3/4" or so and gain that 200 rpm you are looking for but make sure to maintain that proper water pressure within recommended spec and monitor MPH vs RPM to see if you gained or lost any performance.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

3. Member
    High rooster tail means motor is too high....
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    High rooster tail means motor is too high....
    Still learning here as I go so please correct me on this if im wrong, but a too high motor should cause over rev unless he's over propped. Just sounds like he's trimmed up too high?

I know for my boat my motor is too deep (6" pad to prop) and I can run trim fully up and get a rooster about half a foot over cowling and im way under reving at 5100 wot, If i could turn more RPMS im sure id get a higher rooster tail. I know what direction I need to go as I did some home work on my set up so OP outcome definitely may differ

From what ive gathered so far is that you typically dont want to run your motor at full trim for "best" wot speed / rpm. Highest rooster tail you typically want to see is aprox cowling height.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

Get you a new prop guy.

6. Member
    Fully trimmed. Rooster is close to where it was prior to repair, but what is odd is that the steering is looser which makes me think I shouldn't raise it anymore. I think P to P is 3 3/4.

Another thing i've noticed is with the previous prop at 40mph you would feel the whole boat just pop up out of the water, with the reworked prop is has good lift but doesn't pop out and i think it's slowly lifting. Also, the new prop i can keep her on plane maybe 2-3mph slower.

It's just odd as the performance from launch to full speed is is better and i should be getting to max RPM as the boat seems to be fully out of the water but for some reason it's not. The cornering did suffer a bit as its to want to wash out easier.
    2005 206

7. Member
    The prop guy was one everyone seems to like on this board, so i think i'm good there.
    The prop is a Fury 4 and maybe he's not familiar enough with it since it just came out not to long ago?? Maybe he didn't have the correct jig yet??
    2005 206

Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    The prop guy was one everyone seems to like on this board, so i think i'm good there.
    The prop is a Fury 4 and maybe he's not familiar enough with it since it just came out not to long ago?? Maybe he didn't have the correct jig yet??
    If your prop guy is who we now think it is he will fix it for you until it's right.
    That said you should get the numbers for him and us. Max GPS speed and Max RPMs at that speed. Prop to pad height. Water pressure. Hole shot.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.