Thread: mice in camper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy mice in camper

I have a rather nice 36ft travel trailer that we leave parked permanently near our favorite lake in a well managed campground. We recently have found evidence of a mouse or mice inside the camper and also in the outside enclosed camp kitchen. I know that they are traveling in and about the camper via the plumbing grommets through the underbelly which is enclosed for winter camping. I have spent numerous hours sealing up any possible place they could get in from. I am positive that I have been thorough in my process. They are still inside though...which was not what I was hoping for. I am scared to death that if we poison them they will get back into the underbelly and die and then the smell will be a disaster! I have tried sticky pads with cheese and have had no luck...we visit the camper about every other week and cannot set conventional traps as the smell would be horrible if they died in the trap and we were not there to remove them...Help!!! Any advise would be appreciated!

2. Member
    "One Bite" bars. Smear a little peanut butter on them and set them out on a paper plate. When they eat them they quickly begin to get dehydrated which makes the leave to go find water and thus they don't die in your home or camper. They work very well.

3. Member
    Unfortunately, I was more worried of additional mice getting in and the start of breeding inside. I sealed up the exterior very tightly...they will not be able to get out and will die inside. Now what??

4. Member
    They can squeeze trough some cracks that are hard to believe but if you truly think they cannot find any place to exit then you may just want to wait until you are staying in it for a few days and set some traps and remove them as they get caught. The sticky pads you tried should have worked though. I wouldn't bait with cheese though I would bait with little bit of peanut butter. I don't think mice like cheese near as much as cartoons of a childhood made us believe LOL. I know my father always used a small scrap of bacon and that seemed to entice them to their death quite effectively.

Soak some cotton balls with peppermint oil and place them around the camper. It will keep the mice out but after the camper is closed up for a week you will want to air it out. The smell can be a bit strong so experiment a little.

6. Member
    No idea if they work but they have those things you plug in that create a sound humans cant hear but supposedly runs off rodents. If it has power might be worth a shot.

7. Member

8. Member
    Thanks so much guys! I did try the peppermint packs which were bought a a local Ace Hardware and they had a few more ingredients to ward them off...couldn't believe it! They ate them! My two best friends at camp that are my neighbors now have mice in their campers too! I cannot leave the power on while we are gone as per camp rules so the electronic retardant will not work...but thanks! keep you all posted as things eventually work themselves out...

9. Member
    I had them last winter. Used the TomCat traps and they disappeared. They will find a way in no matter how tightly you seal things up. The mice are tiny.

10. Member
    thanks again!

11. Member
    Peppermint oil just makes them smell good when they build nests with it. Get a 5 gallon bucket,put a metal rod (straightened coat hanger works) through the upper lip of the bucket. Put the rod through the center of a pop can so it spins. Coat the outside of the can in the middle with peanut butter. When the mice jump on the can to get the peanut butter, it spins and they fall in the bucket. Put about 4" of rv antifreeze in it, they die but won't stink. Just don't forget to keep pets out of it. This is the only thing that works at our cabin in Canada. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

12. Member
    CJ1, This redneck version sounds so good! I am going to try it asap! Awesome theory sure to work for my situation! Thanks so much! very, very good ! Thanks, so much! Keep you posted on results!

Bounce dryer sheets is what we always put in ours when we winterized it. Just kind of threw em around. Worked better than u would think
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

14. Member
    anything is worth a try! Thanks! I got two of the little boogers this weekend on my sticky pad in my outdoor kitchen! Next weekend, if there are no more signs inside the camper, I am going to seal up all plumbing and electrical chases with great stuff pest foam..and leave the last one open in the outdoor kitchen and put cj1's idea to work. In this method my theory is to allow any remaining mice to get out only one way and never travel back into the interior kitchen sink area or the bathroom sink area again...once no more sign is found at the outdoor kitchen, I'll close up those two chases....and game over until they chew through the foam on the underbelly area already treated! Thanks again for all of your help...hope this information helps you too!

15. Member
    Cj1 has it nailed ! I did this two years ago with the added wooden slats up to the sides of the bucket and to date I've caught over 50 mice ! I also use fresh cab in the trailer with good luck . Closing my 5th wheel this weekend and reloaded the trap for the winter . Good riddens Mickey !

Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Bounce dryer sheets is what we always put in ours when we winterized it. Just kind of threw em around. Worked better than u would think
    When I bought my RV last year in early spring, they had dryer sheets all over the thing after they had had it stored for over a year. Not a sign of a mouse anywhere. I'll be replenishing them soon before I close it off for the winter.

17. Member
    In my experience, you cannot seal a camper, barn, house, or any structure tight enough to keep them totally out. The only way is to kill them with the bucket method. This is the best method out there. I did just purchase some of the Electrocution style traps, although expensive, they are easy to drop Mickey out and to reset.

18. Member
    Irish Spring bar soap supposedly drives them away. Buy a multi pack and cut up the bars. Place them in various locations throghout the camper. I just read about it so have not had a chance to thoroughly test it over a storage time.

19. Member
    Thank you all! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    this works the best

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast