Anyone use the helix 7?

So I am slowly getting some stuff in order for the hard water and I need to buy a new finder. I sold my old 798 with my boat this spring which doubled for summer and winter. Just wondering if anyone is using one and your thoughts. I have a mega 9 so I am familiar with hummingbird and would like to be able to move lakemaster chip between both. Just curious on how battery holds up on these units etc. Any problems?

2. Member
    I currently own a Vex Fl20 and FLX28 then last year added a Humminbird Helix 7 G2N ice. Really like that unit. Used it a couple times on Saginaw Bay and once on Erie last winter. Fished all day with it and had around 40% battery life remaining.

I have heard the GPS/Sonars will last an entire day without issues also, so you should be good to go for single day trips.

4. Member
    I have a helix 5 G2 chirp. I have 3 Ice 55's, I have 2 Vexilar and moved away from any marcums a couple years ago. I only take the helix anymore wife and kids get the others if they join me.

Way too many great features not to take the Helix. I have a friend that got a 7 and after seeing both, he wishes he would have gotten a 5. My battery lasts quite a bit longer than the 7. I think what Fishfish is reporting is accurate but at theend of a day I feel confident ai can get a full second day

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    I have a helix 5 G2 chirp. I have 3 Ice 55's, I have 2 Vexilar and moved away from any marcums a couple years ago. I only take the helix anymore wife and kids get the others if they join me.

Way too many great features not to take the Helix. I have a friend that got a 7 and after seeing both, he wishes he would have gotten a 5. My battery lasts quite a bit longer than the 7. I think what Fishfish is reporting is accurate but at theend of a day I feel confident ai can get a full second day
    The times I have used it all day was sitting in a shanty so I had the light level set low. Not shure how long it would last sitting out in the sun with the light set on high.

6. Member
    What you can do to determine amp usage. Is to purchase an ammeter rated from 1-5 amps. Hook up to one side of the battery. Either the positive or negative side in series. Turn unit on and observe reading.While on you can run screen brightness up and down. To see how much it directly affects power usage (amps ).

The factory specs states an 800 milliamp draw. if that is exact a 12 ah rated battery should last well over 12 hours.
    Last edited by hays47; 10-29-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: more info
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig