Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ribs at 225 or 250?

My RecTec was delivered today and there were some recipes included. There were two for ribs 3-2-1 and easy which said just cook for 6 hours. Both said to set the temperature at 250.

I always thought that the best cook temp for ribs was 225.

?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

I do 2-2-1 at 250
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

3. Banned
    250 is good. Baby backs are the 5 hour and spares are 6 hrs. 2-2-1 BB 3-2-1 spares....all the numbers can be adjusted for your liking.

Holy smokers, Batman! I do them at 235 and plan 4 hours at the max. I use the 4-0-0 method. Toss them in, throw them on the plate. Never under cooked. Tender with a little 'pull'.

Spare...

St Louis...

Baby Back...

5. Member
    Just like your golf swing, Low and Slow. 225, unless you're pinched for time.

I do 225 myself , but on my small REC TEC it burns to hot I can't keep it below 275 . I regret buying it .

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    I do 225 myself , but on my small REC TEC it burns to hot I can't keep it below 275 . I regret buying it .
    Have you tried changing the auger speed?

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    My feed rate is now at 3.0...I held 178 for quite some time. Jerky time is now. RT Trailblazer

9. Member
    Anywhere in that range is going to work. I let the fore ride and do it's thing as long as it does not get below 225 or too far above 250.

10. Banned
    One's as good as the other. I don't cook'em that long as I'm (1) in a hurry to eat, and (2) I just broil them on my Weber charcoal grill and finish them off with a first class, designer sauce and Rendezvous dry rub.

11. Member
    always 275 for me.
    TrackerUser

12. Member
    225 and the tried and true 3-2-1 method works for me.

My favorite way to do ribs.

Although I had to cheat Saturday night. I forgot to put them on and had to foil them and even turned up the temperature to 350. Gotta do whatcha gotta do.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    ......I always thought that the best cook temp for ribs was 225.

?
    Lean meats, thin meats, and fowl gain nothing from cooking at low heat. The fat in ribs will render faster than the meat will cook at pretty much any temp under 400°. I cook mine at 280° till the rub sets and won't come off with a whipe of your finger. Wrap and cook till the first 3-4 bones start to pop out the back, typically about an hour. Then sauce and back on the smoker till it sets, 15min +/-.

Attached Images Attached Images

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

15. Member
    My RecTec was delivered today and there were some recipes included. There were two for ribs 3-2-1 and easy which said just cook for 6 hours. Both said to set the temperature at 250.

I always thought that the best cook temp for ribs was 225.

?

I have a rec tec and its the best! I have baby back ribs perfected. If you like them fall off the bone this is how you do it.

220F (I prefer applewood pellets, but it doesn't really matter)
    add your favorite dry rub
    2Hrs uncovered

then remove the ribs and place them in foil. Inside the foil I put about a ~cup of apple juice, parkay butter (squeeze bottle), bbq sauce and honey.

Smoke for another 3:45-4hrs

pull ribs off, sauce them and then back on the grill for 30 mins uncovered.

Pull them off and then serve.

16. Member
    oh one more thing. Sometimes i'll substitute the apple sauce for Burbon..... Dis sho am good! Seriously. Try it!

Have you tried changing the auger speed?
    I've got no idea how to change speed , I have a newer model of the small one .

18. Member
    It is in the manual.

19. Member
    Are we talking baby back ribs? Falling off the bone is no way for baby back ribs to be treated. Look for BB ribs that have small diameter bones. The slabs can be quite large though in general you are looking for 2 and 3/4 # and down. Larger slabs can be great if the bones are the diameter of a pencil and at times by larger I am talking about 6" wide and those slabs can run to 4#. Adding liquid in a foil wrap will insure falling off the bone and IMHO destroy what ideally is a slight pull of the bone to leave a tender bite of BBQ BB rib meat in your maw. They are done when picked up with tongs at one end the break with a very slight shake. Start with the right slab and at 225 you are done in 3 hours.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grindstone View Post
    Are we talking baby back ribs? Falling off the bone is no way for baby back ribs to be treated. Look for BB ribs that have small diameter bones. The slabs can be quite large though in general you are looking for 2 and 3/4 # and down. Larger slabs can be great if the bones are the diameter of a pencil and at times by larger I am talking about 6" wide and those slabs can run to 4#. Adding liquid in a foil wrap will insure falling off the bone and IMHO destroy what ideally is a slight pull of the bone to leave a tender bite of BBQ BB rib meat in your maw. They are done when picked up with tongs at one end the break with a very slight shake. Start with the right slab and at 225 you are done in 3 hours.
    Maybe I'm weird, but I lime mine fall off the bone and melt in your mouth like cotton candy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast