Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

Caracal with either Talons or Power Poles?

I am curious to see what people are running on the Caracal. We sell Talons through our business and I have a new Caracal coming in the next month or so, which will be loaded up with an Ultrex as well. The talon or power pole will be used for loading and unloading and some other utilities as I feel its a great tool to have on your boat, always had them on a boat. What kind of issues with holeshot or performance will I see with one Talon or PP vs. 2 of them? I know I have asked this before several months ago but I thought I would get some updates from folks if they wouldnt mind sharing. Thank you
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

2 8ft talons is about 3 MPH top end loss on a bird and its mostly from wind drag. butt seat and rear seat is another 2-3 mph loss holeshot maybe 1-2 seconds not really noticeable
    2017 Phoenix 919 Pro-XP 225 Mercury Pro-XS

3. Member
    get 2 of the 8 ft shorties and with the ultrex it should be awesome
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I've read that BCB suggests Power Poles rather than Talons due to a weight issue with the Talons. I have 8' Power Pole Blades on my Caracal. I've got a good hole shot, not spectacular, just good. I'd guess one talon wouldn't be so bad.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    that is what I was trying to remember is what they said about them. I think a single talon or power pole looks goofy and not uniform
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

There are many using them just for beaching the boat and use one in conjunction with an Ultrex. The spot lock has reduced use of the power poles for some. In some Texas uses they turn the boat nosed away from the anticipated target and fish backwards on spot lock.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    There are many using them just for beaching the boat and use one in conjunction with an Ultrex. The spot lock has reduced use of the power poles for some. In some Texas uses they turn the boat nosed away from the anticipated target and fish backwards on spot lock.
    Thats a great idea. That is one of the main reasons I am considering this. Thank you for the info.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

8. Banned
    Power poles on Talon brackets, bolt patterns are the same,adjust brackets so that they are as close to the "pontoons" of the boat. This combination you extremely minimize water drag and also will not have to worry about brackets bending. Hope it helps

9. Member
    The spot lock with one talon/pole works pretty good. Be sure to have the pole/talon fully deployed and the boat stationary before hitting spotlock though or the trolling motor will fight against the anchor. Not a big deal unless in shallow water where the the trolling motor will "blow out" the area.

10. Member
    I rode in Ivan's Caracal at the TOC and it had twins (poles) on it (didn't even look at the brand) with the new Merc 4 stroke 225, all I can say is WOW. Performance was not even an issue! He was full of gas, tourney load and 2 of us over 70 m.p.h. on a short run. Ivan said he has hit 73.6 m.p.h. with the same load. All I can say is, it is a great rig! I would like to say that maybe, just maybe there may be one in my future!
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by milligjg View Post
    I rode in Ivan's Caracal at the TOC and it had twins (poles) on it (didn't even look at the brand) with the new Merc 4 stroke 225, all I can say is WOW. Performance was not even an issue! He was full of gas, tourney load and 2 of us over 70 m.p.h. on a short run. Ivan said he has hit 73.6 m.p.h. with the same load. All I can say is, it is a great rig! I would like to say that maybe, just maybe there may be one in my future!
    Its reasons like you stated why I am getting one. My awesome dealer Bill's Marine is making the dream a reality! Cant wait
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Twin power poles on mine. Love it. Hole shot is awesome with a full tournament load and gas. Slower out of the hole when I fill up the livewell, but still does fine. Twin 26 gallon gas tanks.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoshag View Post
    Twin power poles on mine. Love it. Hole shot is awesome with a full tournament load and gas. Slower out of the hole when I fill up the livewell, but still does fine. Twin 26 gallon gas tanks.
    same setup as I ordered up with dual 26's. I have the new Merc 225 as well.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Bill's Marine in Monett? Tell Jeff Hello and join us next Oct. for the 9th annual TOC. Basscat is heavily involved in this tournament, so is Bill's Marine.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

that White Caracal of Ivans is a beautiful boat. we saw it this past weekend at Fishing For Freedom on Truman.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Bill's Marine in Monett? Tell Jeff Hello and join us next Oct. for the 9th annual TOC. Basscat is heavily involved in this tournament, so is Bill's Marine.
    Oh ya! plan on it. Jeff is a good dude.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

The brackets are not dragging on the Talons or Power Poles. We have video of the hole shots and they are not dragging. It is weight that causes the concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    Power poles on Talon brackets, bolt patterns are the same,adjust brackets so that they are as close to the "pontoons" of the boat. This combination you extremely minimize water drag and also will not have to worry about brackets bending. Hope it helps

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHall View Post
    The spot lock with one talon/pole works pretty good. Be sure to have the pole/talon fully deployed and the boat stationary before hitting spotlock though or the trolling motor will fight against the anchor. Not a big deal unless in shallow water where the the trolling motor will "blow out" the area.
    If you are using spotlock in that scenario, you're doing it wrong. Use autopilot and just enough power to keep you straight.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

19. Banned
    If you run Lithium Batteries then you will offset most of the weight of two 15' Talons.
    I enjoyed the Talons but they sure changed how the boat sat and handled at low & mid speeds.
    Switched to Ultrex and the boat balance is restored.
    The Caracal should handle the extra weight a bit better.
    Hey Lithiums are cheap so you can get bothe Ultrex 52" and the 15' Talons

I have poles. Like the looks and function better than the Talon. I have a friend who just trashed his talon after it failed him a 2nd time.

You our only need 8 foot poles with the Ultrex.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast