Thread: champion 203

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

champion 203

curious as to what would cause these? they are on a boat I am looking at purchasing. don't know if they would buff out or if they are going to stay forever. let me know what you think

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    Spider crack? Don’t think you’ll ever get rid of those without re-gelling.

3. Member
    They won't buff out.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    Is that a reason to stay away from the boat? It’s a 2000 203

5. Banned
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if it’s going to bother you...then don’t buy it. If you aren’t looking for a show boat and the price is good, then it’s your choice.

Most boats will have some form of cracks somewhere on them and at some point 99.9% will have at least a crack. It’s prob more like 100% will have a crack; but there’s always that one person that wants to argue.

6. Member
    Is a 2000 203 going to run much different than a 97 202 both being dual consoles? I’m looking at the one above 203 and another that’s a 202

7. Banned
    Run different, as in performance & water busting ability? I’m not sure what year they moved the gas tank to under the seats in the 203, gonna have to wait until someone more experienced with the older models can say.

8. Member
    Handling and stability while fishing mainly.

9. Banned
    Both are skinny champs, so they will wiggle when you move around the deck. But they tend to ride a little smoother than the wide bodies. One of the most important things you need to check is the transom, needs to sound solid and you need to try to see if there’s any flex while trying to rock the motor. Also want to avoid if if there’s multiple brown goo streaks.

10. Member
    Year 2000 203 will have the rear gas tank. I owned a couple 202s before owning a 2001 203. The 203 was a great boat. All things considered I wish I would've kept my '95 202. It was replaced under warranty for stress cracks and stringer issues. I believe the replacement was a '98. Then the '98 was replaced under warranty with the 2001 203. Had the 203 a long time, sold it in 2012. It had quite a few stress cracks as well when I sold it. The only thing I liked better about the 203 was the layout. The 202 was a better performer in my opinion. I wouldn't let those spider cracks worry you too much. Now if they were to start flaking off and getting down to the mat, then you have cause for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if it’s going to bother you...then don’t buy it. If you aren’t looking for a show boat and the price is good, then it’s your choice.

Most boats will have some form of cracks somewhere on them and at some point 99.9% will have at least a crack. It’s prob more like 100% will have a crack; but there’s always that one person that wants to argue.
    Mine doesn't.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    Mine doesn't.
    Knew there’d be one!

13. Pat Goff
    Those look like scratches from a cover.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

14. Member
    I received the same pictures. I was interested in the same boat, until you really look closely in the pics.

in the one picture it’s pretty obvious that the boat was loaded up sideways, onto the fender at one point and that’s why the fender is crunched in, and it’s all spider cracks in the gel coat in that one location. I get all boat have spider cracks but this one seems excessive. I have many pics of this boat and almost every pic in every different location has some pretty intense cracking in the red flake . I passed.... sucks because I was ready for a 28 hour round trip.

the motor also has well over 1000 hours... which isn’t a issue if the hull was mint, because then re powering it would be a option but a hull that needs work, and a re-power in the future? That’s a lot.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Those look like scratches from a cover.

That was my first thought too, but they are down by the hull also.

16. Pat Goff
    That certainly can be where the bottom of a ill fitting cover would flap.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

17. Member
    My 1995 190 gelcoat is all cracked, but it still fishes well and runs well..

Attached Images Attached Images
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

18. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    98 Elite203...I don't see the picture with the scrunched fender???? I see 3 pictures, but none have a fender in them????

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    98 Elite203...I don't see the picture with the scrunched fender???? I see 3 pictures, but none have a fender in them????

Wow that fender! Is that an optical illusion or was the prior owner a BIG . . . er . . . bass fishing fan?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast