2010 Yamaha 150 hp VMAX

Does the electronic choke (pushing in the ignition switch) and the pull choke on the motor (just below the cowling) do the same thing. My friend has one and is having issues getting it started with the ignition ( electronic choke) but it starts much easier
    with the pull choke. I know that the solenoid is operating with the elactronic choke. Just looking for ideas of what to check to fix this problem. Thanks

2. Member
    There is no 2010 V150TLR. Last year of production was 2008.

If indeed you have a V150TLR the pull to choke knob serves the same function as pressing the key switch in.

It is not uncommon for the electric choke mechanism to become disconnected. Remove the cowling and have the friend press the key in when the key is in the on or start position. You should be able to see the solenoid activate the choke plates.

3. Member
    Does yamaha do there year model like Mercury & it is dated when motor is sold. ( made 2008 but not sold till 2010 )

4. Member
    All of the engine makers no longer use model years. Yamaha was the first to stop the practice.

In 2005 and prior years a letter was added to the model identity to denote the model year. For instance, a 2005 model year Vmax 150 carbureted model was a V150TLRD. The D indicated it was a 2005 model year. Motor could have been made in 2004 or 2005.

When the model year designator was discontinued it became a V150TLR. It remain the same until the last V150TLR was offered here in the USA in 2008. Motors made in 2008 could have remained unsold until 2009, 2010 or possibly later. Say a boat builder bought a bunch of them and put them in his warehouse since they were being discontinued and he did not get around to use them until well after they were purchased.

This caused confusion particularly for states that title motors. Even though a V150TLR might have been made in 2005 if it was sold with a 2010 model year boat it might have been called a 2010 V150TLR (although it really is not).

Confusing as hell isn't it?

When looking for parts for a motor today it best to go by the engine serial number.

5. Member
    Thanks for the info, helps a lot.

Pull the choke with the lid off...note the distance and push back in. Then push the key in and see if it moves the same distance. If it does not move or works intermittantly, you found your problem. I took off my electric choke. I just use it manually when needed on the first start of the day.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

911, my V150TLR has a date manufactured on it.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    911, my V150TLR has a date manufactured on it.
    They all do. That does not mean that the manufactured date is the model year however. It is simply the production date. Folks confuse production years with model years. There are no more model years. Have not been since 2005. Even if a purchase agreement or title says it is.

Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    They all do. That does not mean that the manufactured date is the model year however. It is simply the production date. Folks confuse production years with model years. There are no more model years. Have not been since 2005. Even if a purchase agreement or title says it is.
    thanks!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!