Building a rod with no grips around the reel seat

This is becoming more and more common, notably on spinning rods, and I'm really liking it. Hoping to try it out for myself on my next build.

See the Phenix Feather as one example:

Here's the new Edge Delta LMX as another:

Anybody done this? If so, what reel seats have you been using to accomplish it? I'm guessing I'd need to find a reel seat that's pretty low profile, at least at the ends, then take care of the step down to the rod blank with some winding checks and/or epoxy ramps. The Edge, at least, looks like it's being done with some variation of the Alps Rapid Spin seat.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

2. Member
    I just use 1 cork ring on either end of the seat. Pretty much the same thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    I don't go quite that far. I've only built 4 spinning rods thus far. On 3 of them I used an EVA (I'm a fan) split rear grip for a casting rod and cut it down to 2 1/4" in length. On the one other one I used a 2 1/4" CFX carbon fiber fore grip and just turned it around for use as a rear grip. I was going to go shorter but I didn't want to run into the possibility of it being uncomfortable.

4. Member
    Maybe I'm just used to it because I've built them this way for probably the last 10 years (with the exception of when I've used an Aero or VSSM or something else just to try) but I don't miss any extra cork at all. I find it very comfortable.

5. Member
    I also don’t use any cork on my spinning rods
    Nitro z21

6. Member
    The fuji tvs would be perfect for this. I have the same thing in mind on my upcoming spinning build.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    This is becoming more and more common, notably on spinning rods, and I'm really liking it. Hoping to try it out for myself on my next build.

Anybody done this? If so, what reel seats have you been using to accomplish it? I'm guessing I'd need to find a reel seat that's pretty low profile, at least at the ends, then take care of the step down to the rod blank with some winding checks and/or epoxy ramps. The Edge, at least, looks like it's being done with some variation of the Alps Rapid Spin seat.
    You are correct, on the Edge rod that's the ALPS Rapid with an ALPS Cage hood (http://alpsforecast.com/products/gea...s-mvtgraphite/)
    You'd still want a winding check on it, or ramp up the thread.
    The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

Willwork: I’ve done just that on ice fishing rods. No idea why I didn’t think to try it on an open water rod.

I really thought it’d be uncomfortable too until handling the Feather then paying attention to how little I actually hold a spinning rod below the reel seat. It’s basically never, and I always have my full hand above the reel seat while actually fishing with my index finger running up the blank. I noticed Aaron Martens doing this and tried it - definitely improves your feel substantially, or at least it does for me.

I’d really love to be able to get some of those Feather seats as they’re extremely comfortable, but they seem to be proprietary. I’m going to check out the ALPS and take a look at the Fuji as well.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    I've switched all my builds to the TVS as mentioned before without any thing but a small EVA foregrip. Love love love this seat. It's pricey with the insert, but it's pretty simple and has a great feel.

Attached Images Attached Images