21P tempest plus on 150 optimax - performance

Hey so I got a few questions on performance with this prop on the 150 optimax motor.

with a fully loaded boat (ranger reata 180vs)

I know my motor is too deep as Ranger recommends motor mounted on the 3rd hole and its currently at the 2nd from the top making it 6" to pad height but I feel like my holeshot is not where it should be.

I know I do have the issue of a larger pad to prop heigh which I will correct this winter but curious...

do most boats require WOT throttle to get on plane properly without causing a plowing effect. \

What do you guys have your PVS set at? currently my prop has all Large PVS plugs and i've been debating on removing 1 at a time to see if I can it coming out of the hole easier without needing to whack the throttle wide open.

I know I got lots of room for improvement seeing my motor is maxing out at roughly 51mph GPS at 5100 RPM fully trimmed up when its optimal peak rpm is 5500 and max recommended 5750.

Thanks!
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

WOT until the bow starts to drop then adjust to what you need. Save your self some frustration and install a jack plate to adjust to the correct height for your application. By the way I prefer Manuel jack plates, keep it simple
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    5100 rpm way too low for that.
    lift motor and/or drop pitch.
    your speed is great really breaking 50 isn't bad for no plate over pitched and motor too low.
    pvs plugs for 35-4000rpm on wide open holeshot. I ran my tempest 2 big hole plugs 1 no plug

for a fish ski holsehsot should be able happen without full throttle. you carry weight further forward so it should jump up. you may not need to trim all the way into negative trim. medium loads or pulling tubes I holeshot trimmed flat.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

4. Member
    Trim all the way down and hammer the throttle to get out of the hole. You might want to consider a second prop for carrying the tournament load plus extra angler if getting out quickly really matters. That's my master plan. I run a 21 Tempest plus on a 150XR6. Gets me plus additional angler up pretty quick. Once I fill the livewells she's a real dog. Looking into a 19 Rev 4 for load
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    5100 rpm way too low for that.
    lift motor and/or drop pitch.
    your speed is great really breaking 50 isn't bad for no plate over pitched and motor too low.
    pvs plugs for 35-4000rpm on wide open holeshot. I ran my tempest 2 big hole plugs 1 no plug

for a fish ski holsehsot should be able happen without full throttle. you carry weight further forward so it should jump up. you may not need to trim all the way into negative trim. medium loads or pulling tubes I holeshot trimmed flat.
    missed these replies!

I actually just picked up a 8" rapid jack so ill be able to play with the prop to pad height.

Definitely wouldnt hole shot worth a damn if I didnt give it full throttle and I definitely feel like i Need to trim it all the way down or else it feels like im plowing more then I need to before planning out.

I did notice i get to about 3500 RPM while planning out ( i haven't checked to see what my RPMS are on the second I give it wot.

Right now I got all PVS with Large plugs. Been debating on taking 1 out to see how it would do.

From everything i've read I got the right prop... im actually 200-300rpm bellow what another guy with the exact same boat and motor pulled for peak rpm with trim/tilt fully up at WOT. I know every boat and motor is a little different but yea...

Hopefully the jackplate cures it and gets me the proper peak RPMS I need. I'm not hunting for the MOST top speed... id like to stick to the mid 50's (faster would be sweet but I know unlikely) and as mentioned... hole shot improvement is a big one for me.. I do plan on towing a good few skiers and tubes.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

6. Banned
    That prop should be fine on that motor. You just need to raise the motor a bit to get some more RPM's out of it on the top end. 5750 RPM's would be your target for WOT.

Also realize it's a Fish'N'Ski, so a bit heavier than a bass boat. It won't jump out of the hole as good as a lighter bass boat.

I'd put this prop on and be happy... https://teaguecustommarine.com/em001...propeller.html

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html