Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

200HP Mercury 4Stroke Advice?

I’m not seeimg any reviews on the new Mercury 200hp 4strokes. Should I assume the same performance as being listed for the 250hp? Im looking at the Triton 18XS max rated for 200hp and I would like to go with 4stroke. Anyone running the 200hp that can offer advice?

2. Banned
    Are you talking about the V6 or V8 200? The 200 is available in both models. ProXS 200 is a V8.

3. Member
    https://mercurymarine.widencollectiv...rformanceTests

a few tests of both the 200 and 200 pro xs
    I have one on order but won't be mounting it till spring. very little is out there on the 200
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

4. Joe4d
    Triton says mine is built, dealer says it will be here by end of month,,, Soooo can tell you all about it real soon. Triton 18TRX, and the 200L 4s

5. Banned
    I'd go with the V8 over the V6 for the torque even if both make the same hp though I bet the pro XS is pushing the 10% rule where as the V6 may not as the Triton isn't exactly a lightweight hull and the weight difference is supposedly only 30lbs. The V8 will sound better, so unless you want a quieter more fuel efficient outboard I wouldn't choose the V6.

The four stroke V8 is designed for top performance in bass boats. The V6 four strokes on the other hand are for more like sea model boats, pontoon applications, ect . When I repowered I went with the 200 4-stroke no comparison I got it dialed in now jack plate prop 23 Fury. Loaded or empty 20 ft boat 67 mph

7. Banned
    Put a 200 ProXS V8 on a BassCat Pantera II yesterday. After a few adjustments, I saw 68mph at 5700 RPM and had throttle left. This was with the original 25p Fury from a 200 ProXS Opti. It ran 70-71 with the Opti. With some more time, it could’ve easily hit that but I was running out of daylight.

8. Member
    We bought a new pontoon with the V6 200hp. It's being delivered Tuesday, so I'll know more about how it performs after a week or so.
    I agree with others, for a bass boat I'd get the V8 200hp.

9. Member
    Im going to repower my 1999 Ranger 518 with the 200 4S V6. My reason may be flawed but here goes. I know there is only 30-35 lbs difference between the V6 and V8 but the V8 is 100 lbs heavies than the 2.5 EFI i took off. Guys I've known in the past with opti's on this hull told me they thought the engine was too heavy. Hope i made the right choice.

10. Banned
    I know with the 200hp V8 you have the choice of a 1.75 torque master gear case or a 1.85 "verado" style, the latter helping with heavier hulls. On the 200hp V6 it comes only in a 1.85 I believe, but maybe the 1.75 Torque Master is an option for lighter/faster hulls?

I have 47 hours on a v8 pro xs 200hp on a Ranger 1880ms. So far so good. Motor runs great 55+mph on a heavy boat with kicker and all my gear. Sounds good, lots of acceleration. Like it a lot

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    I know with the 200hp V8 you have the choice of a 1.75 torque master gear case or a 1.85 "verado" style, the latter helping with heavier hulls. On the 200hp V6 it comes only in a 1.85 I believe, but maybe the 1.75 Torque Master is an option for lighter/faster hulls?
    That option is available on the 200 ProXS Fourstroke (V8).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    We put our new pontoon with a 200 V6 on the water yesterday. The V6 is so quiet you can hardly hear it running at idle. Cruising down the lake I also hear very little except wind noise. Great engine, tons of torque and far sips gas. Big to Mercury. As much as I like it on the pontoon, I'd still get the V8 for a bass boat.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja 252 View Post
    We put our new pontoon with a 200 V6 on the water yesterday. The V6 is so quiet you can hardly hear it running at idle. Cruising down the lake I also hear very little except wind noise. Great engine, tons of torque and far sips gas. Big to Mercury. As much as I like it on the pontoon, I'd still get the V8 for a bass boat.
    What pontoon did you get and what prop did it come with? I am repowering a 22ft tritoon and am trying to plan ahead on the prop to get.

15. Member
    Our boat is a 22' Bennington tritoon, it has 22' pontoons, the boat is 24' long. It has the ESP hull (oval center toon). Most newer pontoon boats I've seen run Mercury Enertia props. In my searching around I see most with 200's run in the 17P range, but that was with a Verado engine.
    I was stunned to see the dealer put a 14P Enertia on it. I thought no way that is way too small, but they insisted it was right. I'm now done with break-in and getting a GPS 40mph, right at 5750-5800 SmartCraft RPM which is right at the top of the range. I thought for sure the prop would be too small for the engine, but seems spot on. If my math is right that's also 4% slip, which seems way too low to be right.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja 252 View Post
    Our boat is a 22' Bennington tritoon, it has 22' pontoons, the boat is 24' long. It has the ESP hull (oval center toon). Most newer pontoon boats I've seen run Mercury Enertia props. In my searching around I see most with 200's run in the 17P range, but that was with a Verado engine.
    I was stunned to see the dealer put a 14P Enertia on it. I thought no way that is way too small, but they insisted it was right. I'm now done with break-in and getting a GPS 40mph, right at 5750-5800 SmartCraft RPM which is right at the top of the range. I thought for sure the prop would be too small for the engine, but seems spot on. If my math is right that's also 4% slip, which seems way too low to be right.
    Thanks for the info.
    I agree, I was thinking 17 to 19 pitch. But your dealer seems to of been correct. Is your 22 Bennington a heavier model in there line? That's what makes these tritoons hard to prop, so many weight variables at the same length.

17. Banned
    Baja's ESP toons are Bennington's high performance tritoons--top of the line with a very large in center toon fuel tank. Yes, they're the heaviest of their toons.

I too would have thought a 17 pitch Enertia would have been the proper prop for the 200 hp. 22' to 24' tritoons with Verado 150's use the 14 pitch Enertia prop usually.

The most popular tritoon boats now are equipped three 25" full length toons and they're most often being powered with either a 150 hp or a 200 hp.

My Bennington 24' has the 3/4 length tritoon-with a F150 Yamaha and a 15 pitch prop. I'm seeing 6000 rpms and 40 mph--setup perfectly. My boat certainly wouldn't corner with your ESP hull, as few tritoons have the guts your boat has under the deck.

18. Member
    Yup, it's heavy, The ESP has 0.100 gauge AL. Not counting people, I would guess with 50 gal of fuel and gear I'm close to 4000# going down the lake. The 14P prop thing is confusing to me too and not what I thought it would be. But RPM's are perfect and 4% slip is crazy low to me.

19. Member
    Maybe the enertia actual pitch is higher than stamped. 15" would put you at 10% slip.

20. Member
    Could the V6 have the same softlimiter for RPM as the V8? Then you are running a smaller pitch then you should without knowing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast