Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Is there a chance you are not getting full throttle?
    According to the CARB report the v6 200 makes 232ft-lb of torque at 4500 rpm. That's 199 HP at 4500 rpms, so it should be pushing the 10% rule as it gets up to redline. I thought it was a strong 200, and am still surprised on the prop pitch even though it's a heavy tritoon.
    Last edited by willy13; 10-21-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: fix auto correct

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by willy13 View Post
    Is there a chance you are not getting full throttle?
    According to the CARB report the v6 200 makes 232ft-lb of torque at 4500 rpm. That's 199 HP at 4500 toms, so it should be pushing the 10% rule as it gets up to recline if it's. I thought it was a strong 200, and am still surprised on prop pitch even though it's a heavy tritoon.
    That's great to hear it's making that much torque as it matches the G2 as I suspected!

3. Member
    That is what I meen the engine has a softlimiter so you don’t realize that you are under propped, The engine pulls back the throttle electronically only way to see it is to hook up a computer or over propp the engine so it cant reach the limiter. I know people that has had issues with this when testing props on the V8

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasglad View Post
    That is what I meen the engine has a softlimiter so you don’t realize that you are under propped, The engine pulls back the throttle electronically only way to see it is to hook up a computer or over propp the engine so it cant reach the limiter. I know people that has had issues with this when testing props on the V8
    What RPM does the V8 rev limiter kick in at? I assumed that nomatter the style of rev limiter, it wouldn't kick in till 200 or so RPM above red line (5800 for this engine). But yeah, if it drops the throttle back at 5800 so you never see 5850, propping will get confusing...

The V6 is the little brother of the V8, so it probably has the same style of rev limiter. But still an assumption on my part.

5. Member
    The guy with the toon says 5750-5800 if he has the normal fourstroke on he is at the limit it says in the spec max RPM 5800.

6. Member
    The limit on the V8 varies depending on model.

7. Member
    I have no idea how to check if I'm getting full throttle, I assume it is. It's a DTS engine with SmartCraft gauges, not really a cable to check as far as I know. At no time do I get any indication that a rev limiter or anything is kicking in to limit my RPM's. That being said I'm not sure I would on this engine like your would on an older engine.

Don, could the computer be holding me at the 5800 RPM level and it's so smooth of a limiter I wouldn't know? Would my SmartCraft gauges indicate anything if a limiter was kicking in?

I'm looking for a 15P or 16P to try, if nothing else it will confirm the 14P is right.

8. Banned
    The old mercs had an audible alarm when you hit the limiter I thought as that's what my dealer told me, my 150hp 4-stroke does not and only about 100rpm (I have analog guages) after the max recommended rpm range does it kick in ever so softly if you're creeping up on it. I could only hear it on video...

This video is the 200hp V6 which has the same 5800rpm max limit, yet their top speed came at 5840rpm...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja 252 View Post
    I have no idea how to check if I'm getting full throttle, I assume it is. It's a DTS engine with SmartCraft gauges, not really a cable to check as far as I know. At no time do I get any indication that a rev limiter or anything is kicking in to limit my RPM's. That being said I'm not sure I would on this engine like your would on an older engine.

Don, could the computer be holding me at the 5800 RPM level and it's so smooth of a limiter I wouldn't know? Would my SmartCraft gauges indicate anything if a limiter was kicking in?

I'm looking for a 15P or 16P to try, if nothing else it will confirm the 14P is right.
    I know that Mercury Scandinavia had issues because it was so smooth so the boatbuilders here newer realized that it kicked in and started to loose fait in the engine, hole shot was great but the boat was slow, Merc had to go out with a computer and show that the engine was limiting the trottle instead of over reving.

I am not saying that this is your case, but it could be.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Setup/Prop Selection are BEST done with the G3-2018 Computer Diagnostic System, to verify that the engine is actually achieving WOT parameters.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12