champion to triton

i own a champion now but have been offered a really good price and am considering selling. been planning on getting a bigger boat so could work out good for all. been looking at a couple tritons. for those who have made the change from a champion to triton, what are your thoughts, likes/dislikes, ride , fit and finish, etc. im looking at 20-21ft boats. thanks for your time.

2. Member
    The new boats coming out of the new facility in Midway Arkansas are immaculate. I know a lot of folks that changed from other brands and they like and enjoy their boats. The best thing to do is try to catch a ride in a 20TRX or 21TRX. Good luck on your new boat.

3. Member
    Hey Kzehr75 have you looked into the Charger 210 elites? There is a dealer in Eufaula that carries them.

The new TRX boats are mighty fine but are expensive!! Any Triton you buy will serve you well!

5. Member
    I moved from a 186 Champion to a TR 196 Triton. They are completely different animals and the differences for you will depend on what you are leaving and what you are buying. For my switch, the layout and storage on the Triton are much better. The boat is faster and is more stable with the trolling motor down. At WOT the Triton is harder to drive but is about 8-10 MPH faster. At 60 MPH both handle well. Assuming both are correctly propped, hole shot lightly loaded is comparable. With 2 people and a full livewell, hole shot on the Champion was better. Low speed performance with a load, overall handling, and rough water ride were better in the Champion. The fit and finish are comparable. For my needs in my less nimble days, the Triton suits me better. I can't comment on the wide body Champions or the new Tritons but I don't think you can go wrong with a Triton.

6. Member
    I went from a 191 champion to a 20 xs and the triton rides better and handles big water very well. The speed is obviously better with a 250 vs a 200 but all around I was getting out of a great riding boat but the new one was hands down better. The 20 trx is a lot like the ride of the champions if that helps. You will not be disappointed, the hp hulls can be a little rougher but it’s a burner and still has a decent ride!

7. Member
    I think depends what champion model you came out of and what triton model you are going too...

i came from a 203 champion with a opti 225, to my current 01, tr-20 with a 225 EFI.

Honestly, the champion was a better boat. Handling, ride, finish and space all go to the 203.

the triton is faster, has more storage and is more stable while fishing... although for the champion being a narrow beam boat, it really didn’t sway all that bad. Champion was built with better quality components imo... however, I have heard nothing but good things about the new Triton’s.

8. Member
    i have 1 98 190 with a 200 efi merc and am going to a 20/21 ft with a 250. thanks

Champion much better than Triton. Have a '08, piece of junk.

10. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Champion much better than Triton. Have a '08, piece of junk.
    not sure the Triton is a piece of junk. My last rig that would be of same era as my 2000 TR19 was my 2003 196 Champion. The Champion was a LOT bigger. This boat would darn near fit inside of the champ. Champ rode, handled, Fished, trailered, well, it did just about everything better.

Both trailers are/were garbage, I’d say the Triton might be built a little better though. But if your going from any champ to an older TR you will be disappointed in the deck space and ride. This TR will rattle your teeth lose!

75 you didn't say what model Triton. As stated above They have changed completely in design and manufacturing over the past years. Are you talking new or older?
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

12. Member
    2013 and newer.

13. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzehr75 View Post
    2013 and newer.
    If your in the market for brand new I’d have to seriously consider one of Chargers Champion hulls.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    not sure the Triton is a piece of junk. My last rig that would be of same era as my 2000 TR19 was my 2003 196 Champion. The Champion was a LOT bigger. This boat would darn near fit inside of the champ. Champ rode, handled, Fished, trailered, well, it did just about everything better.

Both trailers are/were garbage, I’d say the Triton might be built a little better though. But if your going from any champ to an older TR you will be disappointed in the deck space and ride. This TR will rattle your teeth lose!
    truth to everything you said.