Pretty Big Drop Today

That was ugly but if it keeps going we may get some good buying opportunities.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Yeah, I shouldn't have logged into T.Rowe Price and looked at my accounts....

I lost a ton back in 2008/2009 and it has more than come back since then, so I'll just hang on for the ride...
    Last edited by 22RangerZ520R; 10-12-2018 at 06:51 AM.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Member
    Good thing it's only money.

4. Member
    S&P futures down right now 3.97% Nasdaq down 5.29%.Tomorrow is going to be really bad? VIX is up to 40. I can’t believe this is what a few quarter points of interest can cause.

5. Member
    Amazon is going on sale. After that big drop, I fell below a 100% return again.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    S&P futures down right now 3.97% Nasdaq down 5.29%.Tomorrow is going to be really bad? VIX is up to 40. I can’t believe this is what a few quarter points of interest can cause.
    Interest rates are just one part of the sell off...Interest rates are still at a historical low point..The stock market is built on speculation and when indicators show a slow down on the horizon the writing is on the wall...It becomes a matter of when...Not if..
    Nixon strong armed the fed on interest rate hikes and it caused one of the largest rises in inflation and a bad time for the US economy afterwards .
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 10-11-2018 at 06:19 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Interest rates are just one part of the sell off...Interest rates are still at a historical low point..The stock market is built on speculation and when indicators show a slow down on the horizon the writing is on the wall...It becomes a matter of when...Not if..
    Nixon strong armed the fed on interest rate hikes and it caused one of the largest rises in inflation and a bad time for the US economy afterwards .
    It is really confusing. On one hand some are worried about rising rates and on the other they say the economy is not as strong as it appears. I guess the worst case scenario would be a slowing economy and rising rates which I don't think should happen but I wonder if they are trying to raise rates enough so that when we do go into a recession that they have the ability to cut and stimulate. I really don't know. It is strange because it almost seems like the tariffs may cause prices to rise which is inflationary and on the other hand we could be seeing economic growth slow. I certainly don't claim to know but I'm just going to try and find good companies with higher credit ratings and low debt and try to buy them for the long term.

8. Member
    I think most economists and those that know alot more than I do like to see nice steady economic growth...Peaks straight up tend to cause crashes straight down....
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

9. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    This pullback is a little concerning to me. The reason being is that there are so many theories on why we have pulled back. Reasons for pullback include: interest rates, trade war with China, peak earnings, foreign investors pulling money from US market to cover their exposure to other markets, tax/profit selling, upcoming elections, slowing housing market and car market. The previous big pullbacks was easy to blame on a single thing. Like. Brexit, POTUS election, ebola, Greece,......

Maybe it can be many things combined, and when we find bargain prices we will continue the run up. I don't think the economy is an issue. And we have known for months if not a year about interest rates rising.

What I want to know is, how was the market behaving during the times prior to the last recession. I wasn't paying attention to the market back then, busy working. Because when I look at a twenty year/monthly chart of the markets, I think we may have problems.
    Thanos was the hero

10. Member
    Before the last recession I remember the fed hiking and real estate all of a sudden started to slow and then drop. Real estate is starting to slow but we are not yet to the same interest rate levels we were back then. I also remember material prices and construction costs rising (that is how we got Chinese drywall). There seem to be some similarities starting to form. The real estate market went first and then I think it was about a year later when the stock market started dropping.

11. Member
    It's so interesting to hear all the perspectives, theories, and speculations going forward. It's also very educational to look back and the historical trends. The "what should I do moving forward" question is coming into play now that uncertainty is creeping in with ebbs and flows and an overall slow year compared to recent bull growth. My wife and I are just going to put our heads down, keep saving, investing, and diversifying and try to grow to the point that the ebbs and flows won't seem so big if we can save more and more money. Always appreciate the perspective of younger/newer investors that have some time on their side versus those who are closer to and into retirement. Thanks to all who are chiming in here!

12. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I still don't see any real panic. The vix in the low 20s, I want to see upper 20s to 30. And there needs to be more volume. But boy does FB look tempting
    Thanos was the hero

13. Member
    I have a limit order in on 3M at 181. Hope it keeps dropping.

14. Member
    The reason for the fallback is that wall street needs to scare some folks into panic mode to sell so their other clients can buy.
    Steady growth does not create the opportunity they need to skin some folks.
    now they have what they need. They are all busy trying to find the bottom of the drop.
    Market monkeys.
    I hate having to play their game.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    The reason for the fallback is that wall street needs to scare some folks into panic mode to sell so their other clients can buy.
    Steady growth does not create the opportunity they need to skin some folks.
    now they have what they need. They are all busy trying to find the bottom of the drop.
    Market monkeys.
    I hate having to play their game.
    Then why do you?

16. Member
    I have been buying some international dividend growth and some high dividend developed market ETF's the last week. Starting a position to build on it. The yields on these look pretty decent around 3.0% and with the stronger dollar I have to wonder if these may bounce back going forward.

17. Banned
    The market has been just volatile enough recently to get on my nerves. While the markets are down a little from their all time highs, I'm still not in the buying mood. I just had a substantial CD mature and I took 10% withdrawal and rolled the rest over at a non-penalty CD for 2.1%. Not great, but it beats .30% at the credit union.

My wife just turned 70, and we're facing some RMD's on her pension. I'm good for 2 years until RMDs come into play. I just hate to have to withdraw almost 4% of the total amount in our accounts to rollover into an account we have nothing to spend the money on. But Uncle Sam needs some money--and I'm paying relatively little income tax due to large medical deductions. I'm good to age 75 without having to make any IRA Rollover withdrawals--other than RMDs.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The market has been just volatile enough recently to get on my nerves. While the markets are down a little from their all time highs, I'm still not in the buying mood. I just had a substantial CD mature and I took 10% withdrawal and rolled the rest over at a non-penalty CD for 2.1%. Not great, but it beats .30% at the credit union.

My wife just turned 70, and we're facing some RMD's on her pension. I'm good for 2 years until RMDs come into play. I just hate to have to withdraw almost 4% of the total amount in our accounts to rollover into an account we have nothing to spend the money on. But Uncle Sam needs some money--and I'm paying relatively little income tax due to large medical deductions. I'm good to age 75 without having to make any IRA Rollover withdrawals--other than RMDs.
    It is definitely nice to be able to get something on cash now. I have a tax bill coming in January so I just parked it in a 2 month bond that was paying about 2.25 percent.