Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mercury Engine data on Helix 12

Hey, I am struggling here. I have a 150 Verado and I installed a level 2 Merc Monitor. I love the unit but I run a tiller and the gauge is too far from my old eyes. With the Merc Monitor, I installed a NMEA2000 Backbone so I could add an X-19 for speed. I am trying to figure out if I should install a Vessel View Mobile or add a AS-ETH-NMEA2K and get data to one of my Helix 12's, both located where I steer. I have read that I could put it on my Helix and use a preset screen to view. For my eyes, this might be the best way to go. I use one Helix for mapping and one for sonar. If I can get engine alarms on it, my thought is I could just hit the preset if the horn goes off.

So, has anyone hooked a Helix to a Merc NMEA backbone to get engine data? And how does it work? I really want alarm codes, so do they pop up if incurred?
    Ches.
    Last edited by Ches.; 10-10-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

2. Member
    Contact Don Weed-European marine in the Mercury Forum he can answer your questions. He has a very good sticky in the 3.0-3.1 Mercury Threads
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

3. Member
    Thanks G4bama
    I had looked at the sticky and was still unsure. I bit the bullet and bought the NMEA 2000 Humminbird unit + dropper and another "T" for my NMEA backbone. My Merc Monitor is a great unit, but 4' at least from my old eyes. And since I will display the data on one of my Helix 12's that should fix my issue (either that or I should not be driving to the lake). For $200, I figure it is at least worth trying. If not, someone might get a good deal in a year. My drawback from the Vessel View Mobile is that I have to connect to my phone each time I start the motor and have to buy a 4 port hub. So thanks for your response and I hope I like it on my Birds.
    Ches.

4. Member
    What I was told (by Don) is that Bird does not do well with NMEA protocol or something to that end. They apparently use a strange language.

"Birds (unfortunately) sing their own tune, and don't "play well with others" on NMEA-2000. Even the latest ones are pretty limited in that area."

5. Member
    anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Ches. View Post
    anyone else?
    Have you looked at the engine data views you Helix unit has available?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    In saw a youtube video from Doug and Humminbird. The views look good but they don't mention which motor they are connected to and Doug talks about how to set alarm codes, but there is no info on what you really get. Is it just a number code or a description. I am hoping that since I will have a Level 2 Merc Monitor on the NMEA2000 network, I will see what it puts out. Remember, I am doing this because my eyes are old and the Merc Monitor is too far to see readouts. I have also read that guys say they only get limited outputs from a Merc to a Bird even though the Bird has a lot of engine data views on screen.
    Ches.

In saw a youtube video from Doug and Humminbird. The views look good but they don't mention which motor they are connected to and Doug talks about how to set alarm codes, but there is no info on what you really get. Is it just a number code or a description. I am hoping that since I will have a Level 2 Merc Monitor on the NMEA2000 network, I will see what it puts out. Remember, I am doing this because my eyes are old and the Merc Monitor is too far to see readouts. I have also read that guys say they only get limited outputs from a Merc to a Bird even though the Bird has a lot of engine data views on screen.
    Ches.
    Doug uses Skeeter boats with Yamaha motors.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Thanks Wayne
    Anyone have a Helix hooked up to a Merc via NMEA 2000 to get engine data? Looking for feedback on what you get. Verado would be best.
    Ches,

10. Member
    I’ve only heard it don’t work that great.
    Nitro z21

11. Member
    JasonG
    I have read the same thing. Hoping to get first hand feedback. But thanks
    Ches.

I have my solix connected to my 250XS via the mercury black box. The only thing I dint get is water pressure. Not sure about trim as my sender is analog.
    2003 Ranger 521VX
    2003 Mercury 250XS S# 0T652530

13. Member
    Thanks crashxx

14. Member
    Just get the Bluetooth engine module for merc, that work good and is cheap.
    Shibs
    Crestliner 1700 with 90 hp 4S (2016)
    Avid spoonplugger and student of Buck Perry.
    Fish out of Muskegon Lake, MI

Onix 10 SI

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stockrex View Post
    Just get the Bluetooth engine module for merc, that work good and is cheap.

it works good but hate having to pull out my phone. I wish I could view it through my helix
    Nitro z21

Quote Originally Posted by crashxx View Post
    I have my solix connected to my 250XS via the mercury black box. The only thing I dint get is water pressure. Not sure about trim as my sender is analog.
    Water pressure may be named “coolant pressure.” You would need a digital trim sender but that would nullify your analog trim gauge. There are ways to fix that too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    it works good but hate having to pull out my phone. I wish I could view it through my helix
    Reason why I want to go the Helix NMEA 2000 route, and because my eyes are bad and a Helix 12 better be visable. I would have to add a 4port Merc Hub with the Vessel View mobile since my Merc monitor is Direct linked (blue cable). Somehow since my Merc Monitor is on a NMEA 2000 backbone already, I figure I might get a lot of data on my Helix.

18. Member
    Reason why I want to go the Helix NMEA 2000 route, and because my eyes are bad and a Helix 12 better be visable. I would have to add a 4port Merc Hub with the Vessel View mobile since my Merc monitor is Direct linked (blue cable). Somehow since my Merc Monitor is on a NMEA 2000 backbone already, I figure I might get a lot of data on my Helix.
    Back to the very first reply go direct to the source Don Weed European Marine.

It may well be workable, but may require some extra effort as well. Don would know.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
    Back to the very first reply go direct to the source Don Weed European Marine.

It may well be workable, but may require some extra effort as well. Don would know.
    Need to confirm which MercMonitor you have (at startup screen, what is the Version and Level shown)?

If BOTH the Helix and the MercMonitor are on the NMEA-2000 network, you SHOULD be able to see engine data on the Helix (it should be able to RECEIVE, it just won't TRANSMIT).

There are some settings in the MercMonitor that you may have to set, of course. Gateway must be on, NMEA-2000, Transmit Gateway, and you can leave Tab Data "Receive". Save.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

It should work, but it takes a bit to figure out how to get the information to display. You won't get water pressure unless you have a digital sender instead of the analog.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast