Lake Master or Navionics

Guys,
    I just sold a Bass Cat Puma FTD but before I did I took my Navionics Southeast SD card out. The purchaser had no use for it. I purchased another boat, a Pheonix 721 Pro XP that has a 1199 w/ the Lake Master Southeast card. I have not had it on the water yet to try it out or see the differences.

Is one card better than the other. If so, how.

Thx,
    Joey

Waters that are listed as Lakemaster High Definition Survey are very good. Those were done by Lakemaster surveyers with their equipment.

Lakemaster does not have as much coverage as Navionics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Navionics is better for me because the lakes I regularly fish are not on the Lakemaster cards. However, once a year I go to Tablerock lake and the lakemaster maps are awesome on that lake and I can use the extra map features built into my units for those lakemaster maps when I am there. So really depends on where you fish. You can look up your version of the lakemaster maps to see what lakes are included in HD in your area and that will give you a good starting place. And as you probably know, you can go to navionics website and view the actual maps of any lakes you are interested in to see what they look like on their cards.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Member
    If your lakes are on the lakemaster card, then lakemaster, all the way. Water depth offset, depth color highlights, all sorts of additional features are available to you with lakemaster.

One of my favorites is if you make your own maps with autochart/pro, you can overlay your maps onto the lakemaster cards. Awesome feature. You get to see your map data, which is more up to date and accurate, overlaid on top of the lakemaster data. The reason this is nice is because then you at least have some idea what the water looks like in areas you haven't yet mapped.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Waters that are listed as Lakemaster High Definition Survey are very good. Those were done by Lakemaster surveyers with their equipment.

Lakemaster does not have as much coverage as Navionics.
    That has got to be a very boring job....long days on large lakes going back and forth. Any idea how wide a swath they can cover in one go?

6. Member
    Anyone know how to find out, from Lakemaster ot Navionics, what a lake level was when they surveyed it? Doesn’t do any good to have an offset on our units if we don’t know this info.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Anyone know how to find out, from Lakemaster ot Navionics, what a lake level was when they surveyed it? Doesn’t do any good to have an offset on our units if we don’t know this info.
    It really simple to make a water level offset. Be on the water above a contour line and adjust the level to match the Depth readout. Do the depth offset setting first to account for the distance your transducer is below the surface.
    It won't make any difference what the survey level was.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    I prefer LakeMaster over Navionics for the lakes that I fish, to include Lake Ontario. LakeMaster depth contours are much more accurate than my Navionics+ Regions card.

9. Dogfish_Jones
    Hands down for me, it is Lakemaster. Once you use Lakemaster and set up the depth with the color code, you will never switch back. I can just glance at my mapping and know where I am in depth. The contour lines are much more defined with Lakemaster too.

10. Member
    In general my answer is Navionics has a leg up because they have more lakes surveyed, including more HD lake maps as well. I use Navionics maps all over the country and rely on them all the time. I think overall you will be happy just using Navionics maps..........i certainly wouldnt sell it in favor of another brand. If anything, keep both and compare them both everywhere you fish.