Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who's Tried the St Croix Panfish Model Rod?

So I ordered a new reel and I want to pair it up with a nice rod. I have another St. Croix model rod I really like but it's little stiff for what I'm after in this new set-up. I'm considering ordering a St. Croix Panfish model in a 7 footer. It only comes in one action (light) and they rate it for 2-6 pound line and up to 3/16oz lures I believe. I like a rod with a fairly soft tip (not super soft) and quite a bit of back bone through the midsection. Anyone here tried one? If so can you give a decent description of how the action feels? I hate to order a rod without having felt it but no one around me has any to try and I can't find anything else in our stores here I can't live without.

2. Member
    I have a st. croix panfish rod, but it is the 11ft model. Dont remember the action. It is a great rod and extremely sensitive.

3. T Dub
    Almost ordered one a couple times, but hesitated at the price - probably worth it, but I’m cheap I guess

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    Almost ordered one a couple times, but hesitated at the price - probably worth it, but I’m cheap I guess
    Im the same way. Its hard to spend a lot of money on a crappie rod when they make really good ones for less than half the higher price models. I have spent $100 on a huckabee and although its an amazing rod, my $40 dollar jenkos are on the same level with it. Maybe just a little less back bone but I can live with that. To the OP, I cant help you any but I do know the St. Croix makes an amazing rod.

5. Member
    I'm probably going to order one and once I get to try it I will let ya'll know how it is. I found a couple of video reviews on youtube and it seems to have the action I'm looking for. On another note I ordered a Shimano Sedona 1000. My last Pflueger President left a lot to be desired in my opinion in comparison to the earlier model one I have so I decided to give this Shimamo a try. My first impression of it is good. All I did so far was remove it from the box and turn the crank but it's seems really nice and smooth. I will review it with rod once I get them set up and do some on the water testing.

6. Member
    I ordered the rod. Gonna hope for the best at this point and I'll post a review once it arrives and I get some lake time with it.

7. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    I ordered the rod. Gonna hope for the best at this point and I'll post a review once it arrives and I get some lake time with it.
    I’m sure it will be nice

8. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Heck yeah. Cant wait to hear about it. Where did you order it from?

9. Member
    Ordered from Amazon. They were just as cheap as anyone else I could find and the shipping was free on my Prime account. Should be here tomorrow and I'll get my reel mounted on it and spooled up with line. Weather here is awful right now so don't know when I'll try it out. Deer hunting may get in the way too. I've got to get my priorities straight LOL. Took off all this week to bow hunt and possibly fish and it's been pouring rain and we just got a cold front. That's about right. Oh well one thing about the weather is it will always change.

10. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Ordered from Amazon. They were just as cheap as anyone else I could find and the shipping was free on my Prime account. Should be here tomorrow and I'll get my reel mounted on it and spooled up with line. Weather here is awful right now so don't know when I'll try it out. Deer hunting may get in the way too. I've got to get my priorities straight LOL. Took off all this week to bow hunt and possibly fish and it's been pouring rain and we just got a cold front. That's about right. Oh well one thing about the weather is it will always change.
    I hear ya. lol Well hope you get to go kill something and catch something soon!

11. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I got one last year. It is 6'. To me it doesn't seem very sensitive. Honestly after buying it id rather have bought another Gander Mountain Ultra Light combo if I could have and spent half the money including the reel. It's a nice rod don't get me wrong just not worth the money IMO. I got mine from amazon for $109
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

12. Member
    It arrived today and I seated up the Shimano Sedona 1000 on it.. First impressions: weight is very good, I like the reel seat style and handle and how it lays in my hand, like the eyes and overall construction of the rod. It seems sensitive but I need a jerk on the other end to really tell that very much. The action is a little softer than I thought it would be. I wish it was somewhere in between this and the other St Croix I have which is a medium light and seems a bit too stiff to me. I've have a better feeling for it once I get to fish with it a little. I think all in all I will like it but we shall see. I do think the tip action will help with whipping a small jig out there on some long casts. I may try it out later this week depending on weather and other pressing issues like deer hunting and hanging a door for my mother in law. Dang this vacation stuff is stressful

13. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    It arrived today and I seated up the Shimano Sedona 1000 on it.. First impressions: weight is very good, I like the reel seat style and handle and how it lays in my hand, like the eyes and overall construction of the rod. It seems sensitive but I need a jerk on the other end to really tell that very much. The action is a little softer than I thought it would be. I wish it was somewhere in between this and the other St Croix I have which is a medium light and seems a bit too stiff to me. I've have a better feeling for it once I get to fish with it a little. I think all in all I will like it but we shall see. I do think the tip action will help with whipping a small jig out there on some long casts. I may try it out later this week depending on weather and other pressing issues like deer hunting and hanging a door for my mother in law. Dang this vacation stuff is stressful
    Doing chores for the mother in law may make you want to go back to work!! Thanks for the report, let us know how you like it once you feel that "thump"! Im sure you will be satisfied.

14. Member
    I bet you will like the rod very much. I have that rod as well as the Same in an Avid series that i built. I like the Avid a little better but they are both nice. You got a good price as I have 87.00 in my Avid and 79.00 in my SC11 model and that is not counting any labor. My most recent and favorite is the SCV model 6'6" lite. They are much pricier but i built mine for around 130 bucks or so. The SCV model is better suited for 1/16 to 3/16 oz baits. I rarely use anything lighter than 1/16 oz baits. All great rods!!

15. Member
    Well I made it out on the lake today and managed to catch dinner. Also got to land several on the new rod. Once I got some time with it I really like it. I really, really like the reel seat grip area on this rod. It's super comfortable to hold all day. The rod is light has good backbone even though the tip is soft. I would described the action in this way; the last 40% of the rod toward the tip is soft but it's got good backbone from the midsection through the butt. It was plenty sensitive for me although as others have stated I wouldn't say it was way more sensitive any other rods I have. I do think the Sedona 1000 was the perfect mate for it and I really like that reel. I've been using Pflueger Presidents the last several years but I was not impressed with the last one I bought. It is just not the same as the earlier models. The Sedona will be my go to reel model from now on, more than likely. I found it to retrieve very smoothly, has a nice smooth drag, and seems to be well built. The ani-treverse is truly instant and the bail trip is nice and smooth. I think I'm going to probably end up with another St Croix/Sedona combo just like this one when it's all said. Anyway enough about all that. The fishing wasn't great today but it was a beautiful day to be on the water. I managed to catch 10 crappie and lost another nice one at the side of the boat. Also caught and threw back a few small bass. I located a lot of fish holding on brush but was having a very hard time figuring out what they wanted to eat. I caught all of these off the first brush pile I fished.

16. T Dub
    Nice mess! Glad the rod is working out for you.

17. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Well I made it out on the lake today and managed to catch dinner. Also got to land several on the new rod. Once I got some time with it I really like it. I really, really like the reel seat grip area on this rod. It's super comfortable to hold all day. The rod is light has good backbone even though the tip is soft. I would described the action in this way; the last 40% of the rod toward the tip is soft but it's got good backbone from the midsection through the butt. It was plenty sensitive for me although as others have stated I wouldn't say it was way more sensitive any other rods I have. I do think the Sedona 1000 was the perfect mate for it and I really like that reel. I've been using Pflueger Presidents the last several years but I was not impressed with the last one I bought. It is just not the same as the earlier models. The Sedona will be my go to reel model from now on, more than likely. I found it to retrieve very smoothly, has a nice smooth drag, and seems to be well built. The ani-treverse is truly instant and the bail trip is nice and smooth. I think I'm going to probably end up with another St Croix/Sedona combo just like this one when it's all said. Anyway enough about all that. The fishing wasn't great today but it was a beautiful day to be on the water. I managed to catch 10 crappie and lost another nice one at the side of the boat. Also caught and threw back a few small bass. I located a lot of fish holding on brush but was having a very hard time figuring out what they wanted to eat. I caught all of these off the first brush pile I fished.
    Awesome, glad you like it and nice haul!

18. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I also like how the one fish is trying to make an escape!!!

19. Member
    Yup caught him on camera in mid-jump. He was just showing off for the camera I think I gave the rod a much better workout Saturday and I'm really pleased with it. Ordered a second one and another Sedona for myself for my birthday. I hope to give them both a good workout later this week.

20. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    I have several St. Croix rods. Their crappie specific rods were too light for me. I sold mine and went to a medium light action. Still soft tip, but a faster action and more backbone.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast