Thread: Swimbait rod

Banned

Swimbait rod

What is a good light weight swimbait rod thats under $200? I currently use a dobyns fury 733c with a diawa taula ct and it gets heavy after all day throwing swimbaits.

I dont throw anything to big. Mostly fish keitech 2.8 to 4.8 Fat Swing Impacts with occasional huddleston 4" to 6" 68 weedless specials

Whats out there and comfortable to fish all day with?

Megabass Levante Leviathan

3. Member
    If the 733c and tatula ct is heavy for you, then I don't think a swimbait rod will get any lighter or more comfortable. How are you casting your swimbaits? Over shoulder cast?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kondan View Post
    If the 733c and tatula ct is heavy for you, then I don't think a swimbait rod will get any lighter or more comfortable. How are you casting your swimbaits? Over shoulder cast?
    Thinking the same thing. 2.8-4.8 Keitechs are considered small swimmers and don't require any special tackle to throw them. You can get by with a 7' MH rod. Even a ML for those 2.8. Those are tiny!
    For the 68's I'd say a 7'6"H will get the job done. Like above stated, if the rod you're using is too heavy, an actual swimbait rod is going to be WAY too heavy for your liking. Plus an actual swimbait rod is not required for the baits you listed.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

So question here because in our area, most 2.8-3.8 keitechs are thrown on 8-10# test, 1/4oz or smaller head - so a spinning rod fits the bill. 3.8-4.8 is usually thrown 3/8oz plus and casting used.

For the heavier Keitech rig, check out the ALX Rods IKOS Promise 7 ($149.99) on tight quarters or the Promise 73 ($154.99) on open water.
    For the lighter Keitech, check the ALX Rods IKOS Soul 73 ($154.99).

For Hudds, I would bump up to the IKOS Hammer 73 ($154.99) for the heavier versions. The IKOS Promise 73 for the lighter.

Hope it helps.

6. Member
    Powell Max 765 cb/swb, very light in weight but not a flimsy crankbait rod

Check out the add I just posted on ALX Swimbait rods. I have one that is basically brand new and I am selling for 50% off what I paid. These rods list for $275 and I am selling it for $137.50. As far as weight, the rod only weighs 6oz, so is incredibly comfortable to throw all day. These rods still have the plastic on the bottom portion of their handles as well. The add is listed on this board under rods for sale.
    Last edited by dgilliamcfm; 11-02-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Only one rod remaining