Small smoked pork

If I am just cooking for the wife and me and I don’t want to use the full shoulder what is the best cut to get? Should I just get a Boston and cut it in half?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    I would suggest a pork loin. Buy a big one which is a better value. Then cut it to size and bag what you don’t want to smoke. This is a very easy cut to work with and is hard to mess up!
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

3. Member
    I wouldn’t smoke a loin. It is too lean. That cut is much better roasted or cut into slices and grilled.

Get a Boston Butt. You can smoke the whole thing and freeze what is left. It will taste great when you thaw and heat it.
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

Call your local butcher and tell him you want a small Boston Butt. I have been able to get them as small as 4.5lbs. There is an older gentleman close by and I'll get a small one for him when doing a big cook. I'll take it to him whole and he can slice off what he needs at time.
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

6. Member
    RB I get mine at Walmart or foodlion usually around 7 or 8 lbs where do you get yours also 179.00 per lb
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Call your local butcher and tell him you want a small Boston Butt. I have been able to get them as small as 4.5lbs. There is an older gentleman close by and I'll get a small one for him when doing a big cook. I'll take it to him whole and he can slice off what he needs at time.

7. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by repdept View Post
    Get a Boston Butt. You can smoke the whole thing and freeze what is left. It will taste great when you thaw and heat it.
    ^^^This. I freeze 1lb packages. Can be used anytime and will still taste great.

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    If I am just cooking for the wife and me and I don’t want to use the full shoulder what is the best cut to get? Should I just get a Boston and cut it in half?
    This is normally what I do since like you its mainly me and the wife unit. Cooking it all and freezing portions works also but for some reason at our house the hunks of meat get used quicker than the already cooked stuff.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Quote Originally Posted by rng518 View Post
    RB I get mine at Walmart or foodlion usually around 7 or 8 lbs where do you get yours also 179.00 per lb
    Always get mine at Sams in Mooresville. Call down and they'll have it ready for you
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Do a whole butt and vac pac what you don’t eat.
    Throw the thawed bag in a pot of simmering water until it’s heated up throughout and enjoy, it’s as good as the day it came off the smoker.
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

I always just cook the whole thing. Sometimes two. Eat for a couple days, vac pack the rest and into the freezer. Made one the other day. Did the sandwich stuff, then made enchiladas and threw some into sauce for spaghetti. Going to make tamales right now. It takes no extra time to cook so we eat what we can and save the rest. It sure is nice to have something in the freezer pre-cooked when you're short on time.

This is what I've started doing. Vacuum seal it, and when you're ready for some Q thaw it, then wrap it in foil and heat it up. Tastes just like it came off the smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I wouldn’t smoke a loin. It is too lean. That cut is much better roasted or cut into slices and grilled.
    I made some loin a while back. Smoked it to 165 then sliced it. Turned out awesome. But yes, it is too lean for pulled pork.

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

15. Member
    Perfect. Thank you.

16. Banned
    Especially good if you catch the drippings while smoking it. Add the drippings to the part you freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator_Fan View Post
    Do a whole butt and vac pac what you don’t eat.
    Throw the thawed bag in a pot of simmering water until it’s heated up throughout and enjoy, it’s as good as the day it came off the smoker.
    YEP !!!

18. Member
    I will second (third or fourth) smoking the whole thing, vacuum packing the leftovers, then reheating sous vide. Makes it just as amazing as the day it came off the smoker.
    2008 Triton TR-196 - Mercury Optimax 200 - 25p Tempest prop

Try a tenderloin, we buy the Smithfield brand you get two to a pack. Doesn't take long to smoke and they are very tender!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water