2018 Z19 Thru Hull Transducer Placement

I'm going to mount a Garmin GT15 thru hull transducer this week in my 2018 Z19. Any recommendations where exactly to place this?

2. Member
    Under the plate the supports the batteries.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

3. Member
    I put mine approximately 6 in from the drain hole in the center

4. Member
    Thanks guys. That's where I figured the best place too. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to pull the batteries out, but that's the best spot.

5. Member
    Unsure of the difference against a z21 but on my boat the dealer installed the transducer in a low spot right behind the live well. Not sure if it’s good or not but my transducer doesn’t read for shit and is useless whether sitting still or moving. Boat was purchased through a highly regarded by some dealer
    Nitro z21

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Unsure of the difference against a z21 but on my boat the dealer installed the transducer in a low spot right behind the live well. Not sure if it’s good or not but my transducer doesn’t read for shit and is useless whether sitting still or moving. Boat was purchased through a highly regarded by some dealer
    Good to know. That's where I was looking initially because it has easy access.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    I tried that low spot first on my Z21 for my Solix shoot through ducer, but It didn't work worth a crap either. I moved it back to just in front of the drain plug hole and it works perfect now.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

8. Member
    Good to know I plan to change it in the off season. I would have thought this dealer would know better.
    Nitro z21

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXZ21 View Post
    I tried that low spot first on my Z21 for my Solix shoot through ducer, but It didn't work worth a crap either. I moved it back to just in front of the drain plug hole and it works perfect now.

What was yours doing? I have helix units and mine will hardly ever read and I tried everything minus removing it. I got it to read briefly this past week but had to have sensitivity near max and it was a extremely weak return
    Nitro z21

10. Member
    The best way that I know how to choose a spot of a thru hull transducer is to water test it.
    Hulls have some inconsistency in them with glass layup and strand orientation that will make some spots in the bilge area better for a thru hull transducer than others. The best way that I have found to do this test is to get on the water.....fill you bilge area up to the point where you can submerse the transducer completely under the water. Then set a bean bag or some kind of weight on top of the transducer and try it at various spots on the hull. You will find some places read better than others. I used this method to place the thru hull transducer on my 929 and I moved the transducer a few times before deciding on the perfect spot.
    Doing it any other way is just taking a stab in the dark.....IMO.

Hope that helps and makes sense.