Viking Invitational Results?

Did anyone fish on Sunday and know what it took to win it? I still don't see any results on classicbass or the Viking Bassmasters website.

They said 18 something, but the scales were WAY off. Guy who had big fish said he weighed it on his scale and another guy's scale and both had it around 5.3. The weigh in scales put it at 7.10. It was a nice fish, but it definitely was no 7 lber. We had an 11 lb bag that they weighed at something like 12.6 or 12.8. I'd like to say we caught that, but we didn't. In any case, we probably landed about 20th with that. I think you needed north of 14 (again, their numbers) to make the top 10. Something like 72 boats.

So officially 18 something won it, more realistically 16 something. Maybe they weren't zeroing the scale or something and so ended up adding the weight of the basket to the total.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Thanks!

4. Moderator
    Were they weighing fish with a mesh bag? Probably didn't tare it out properly or consistently. New DNR rules will make this more of a problem next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    Were they weighing fish with a mesh bag? Probably didn't tare it out properly or consistently. New DNR rules will make this more of a problem next year.
    They were weighing them in plastic weigh-in bags (the thin almost disposable type) dumping water out of each fish when loading them into the bag. Felt fair to me.

The mesh bags always add a little weight and I'm sure the plastic bag did too, but this was like 1.5 lbs or more. Had to have been the basket unless the scale is just that inaccurate. Assuming that's not the case and I have to believe the scale was accurate, either they were trying to inflate the weights or forgot and weighed someone with the basket not being zeroed out and had to keep doing it.

What are the new DNR rules? I must've missed something.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    They were weighing them in plastic weigh-in bags (the thin almost disposable type) dumping water out of each fish when loading them into the bag. Felt fair to me.

The mesh bags always add a little weight and I'm sure the plastic bag did too, but this was like 1.5 lbs or more. Had to have been the basket unless the scale is just that inaccurate. Assuming that's not the case and I have to believe the scale was accurate, either they were trying to inflate the weights or forgot and weighed someone with the basket not being zeroed out and had to keep doing it.

What are the new DNR rules? I must've missed something.
    I might be a little off on some of the details, but here's a second-hand summary of what I've heard from Denny and Chris Hauer (Denny's Super 30 and Howie's Southern Bass Tournament Directors)

Every circuit with more than 25 boats is required to maintain one 100G aerated tank for every 25 anglers.
    Every circuit is required by law to use MESH BAGS provided by the Tournament to weigh in fish, holding the fish and mesh bags in these 100G tanks while waiting to weigh in. Its all now REQUIRED BY LAW. You will no longer be able to use your own bag without a mesh bag tucked inside.

The Mesh Bag gets weighed with the fish at the scale. The mesh bag can vary in water weight and slime weight, adding 3/4lb-1.5lb extra weight from what I've seen.

Its going to add a ton of extra work for Tournament Directors while not doing much to improve survivability IMO. What about water temp differences between tank and livewell? What about the mesh bag scrapping off all the fish's protective slime?

Shut up and comply, Nanny state MN DNR knows best!
    Last edited by bassburch; 10-15-2018 at 09:09 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    Every circuit with more than 25 boats is required to maintain one 100G aerated tank for every 25 anglers.
    So do all of these new rules apply for tourneys with under 25 boats as well? If not, how many circuits are going to start limiting their participation to 24 boats? Quite a few. I also wonder how many of the tourneys on Pool 4 are all of a sudden going to be based out of WI instead of Wabasha?