Tach pegs 10 when trim is used

OT153924
    200EFI.
    Just replaced the regulators with new oem, I’ve never had this issue before but I always had a bad regulator so I’m not exactly sure where I would be crossing/shorting. Doesn’t matter if I’m trimming up or down, the Faria tach goes all the way to 10, and the voltage droppes to around 12v, I didn’t anticipate that much of a draw, that’s why I’m suspecting something is crossed. It still charges at around 14v after my first trip with new regs, I don’t want to burn one up at the tune of $210...

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Karl

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Karl:

Check your battery terminal connections. ENGINE cables first, remaining lugs Largest to Smallest, and finish off the connection with a Stainless Nut or LOCKNUT (do not use wing-nuts).

If still having problems at that point, check wiring connections on instruments (make sure they are clean/tight).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you. I will check again as I believe you had just made a note in my previous post to connect engine terminals first, then largest to smallest, which I have done.

Under NORMAL conditions, should I be seeing the voltage draw from 14 to 12v from the trim motor operation?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    On this engine, that is not at all abnormal. Trim pump pulls more current than the charging system puts out (at idle or low RPM's, especially).

It is a high enough draw that there will always be a change in voltage (note that you need to be viewing a DVOM connected directly to the battery for this type of reading... anything running from dash wiring is likely not accurate to start with).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Still troubleshooting this.. the tach apparently only does it while the motor is running- I’m not exactly sure why that is.. with ignition on and dash on, tach stays at 0

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is normal... the other needle jump you described probably is not.