Sportjet 175 xr6 carburated

I'm at a loss. What I'm about to describe happens EVERY time I use it on long runs. No variations.

Cranks fine and runs perfectly on the initial run which is roughly 45 minutes.

Cranks and runs fine all day, from spot to spot.

Cranks and INITIALLY runs fine for the run back but after about 15 minutes, if I back off of the throttle at all, it dies.

At this point, it will crank and idle fine. From Idol, if I don't slam it to full throttle, it dies. In other words, it's either All or Nothing. No mid-range acceleration at all. If I ease into the throttle from idle, it just dies.

What's really weird is that I'll take it home and park it and the next day, it's fine until I've made a really long run.

I'm running non-ethanol fuel. I've opened the gas cap to rule out vapor lock. I've also squeezed the primer ball and it's tight.

I'm not making any friends at the marina coming back to weigh-in, through the no wake zone, going wide open.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please be sure to provide your Engine Serial Number. Thanks!

While this certainly "sounds" fuel related, I strongly suspect you may find that the trigger is binding, OR the harness for the trigger is deteriorating. Look at the harness and see if the loom is "flaking apart" (trigger harness).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor