Thread: NEW TO YAKS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Too bad you aren't closer. I am in the process of selling 2 Hobie Pro Anglers and a trailer. They are amazing to fish out of using the mirage drive. I had a Native slayer propel as well and between the two I stuck with Hobie. I am only selling as I need room to support the new bass boat that I just got. If you were closer I would let you try them out! It takes a little time adapting to kayak fishing (understanding how wind affects you was a big one) but once figured out it is a ton of fun.

2. Member
    I’ve been eyeing the new Old Town Topwater PDL, looks nicely equipped and comfortable. Pedal drive right at $2k... also heard great things on the Predator PDL but it was heavier than I want to lug around....

Quote Originally Posted by jigging15 View Post
    Check out the NuCanoe Frontier 12 on YouTube. Lots of videos about them from stability test to walkthroughs and on the water demos. I feel it is the best all around kayak. They can be setup in so many different ways. Then can easily be changed to something totalling different in just a few minutes. So setup for bass fishing one day, then setup for catfishing. Then setup with the duck blind for a hunt. Then take everything out to make room for coolers, tents and cooking gear for overnight camping float trips. 650 lb ratting so you can load it down. All other kayaks have stuff built in for different things and you are stuck with that feature even if you don’t like or use it. The 360 swivel seat on NuCanoe is another cool feature. Should be able to get a deal right now on a 2018 model. Do your research and then get in them for on the water demos.
    I'm obviously biased about the NuCanoe brand for the reasons jiggin15 mentioned. Most of the lakes I fish on a regular basis are small, shallow and filled with weeds. I like starting with a blank canvas and building them out to fit my needs. I'm pretty sure my next one will be a Frontier 12. I currently have a 2017 and 2018 Pursuit.

4. Member
    "it was heavier than I want to lug around...." OK.. I am old, but in decent shape.

The weight factor is a big deal as you get older. Fishing for five or seven hours, then putting the 200 lb. (it seemed like 200 pounds) kayak on the roof or in a truck bed, was a royal PIA.

I bought a $400.00 Academy Jon boat trailer and converted it to use with my yak. What a difference. I had 99% of the fun and pleasure of fishing from a yak, but I didn't have to deal with the loading and unloading issues.

I love my Native. You are in VA Beach so I assume some sort of close access to the Bay Bridge. Look up EliasVFishing on YouTube. I bet you'll be looking at a Hobie soon. Really good vids. Just moved to my area this spring but hits your way a good bit.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

6. Member
    VbGunner drive down to Appamatix River Company. 1 of the largest yak dealers and you can crawl over most brands on the market today since the basically carry everything. Bought mine from the Farmville location but they have another in Fredericksburg.

7. Member
    Thanks all...Hokie, My inlaws live in Culpeper, so I might just have to do that next trip up, thanks!

8. Member
    For any saltwater use, the only pedal drive boat to consider is a Hobie. Lots of good info on saltwater kayaking at the Stripers Online forum.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12