Thread: Lake options?

Lake options?

Hey guys, I figured I would ask the masses here as you know your area better than I. I run a kayak bass fishing tournament series and we host events in Illinois and Wisconsin. I am in search of a couple of new lakes but finding what I am after this year has been challenging. The event could host up to 50 anglers so parking at most Wisconsin lakes becomes an issue...and I obviously want to keep the lake size small for safety reasons.

If you have any recommendations please let me know...

- Must host 50 people
    - Must be between 1000-2000 acres
    - Decent largie/smallie fishing and less boat traffic if possible

So far Lake Delavan, Lake Waubesa and Rock Lake in Jefferson County are on the list. I also found a High Falls Flowage and Caldron Falls Reservoir farther north that seemed promising.

Have you considered rivers? The Wisconsin River has some areas accessible only to jet boats and kayaks with awesome fishing. Areas around the dells have parks and such that should be able to hold 50 people.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    Have you considered rivers? The Wisconsin River has some areas accessible only to jet boats and kayaks with awesome fishing. Areas around the dells have parks and such that should be able to hold 50 people.
    That could definitely be a possibility...thank you! Any stretches that would be better?

the lower dells area (below the WI dells dam) There is a big park or Maybe Rivers Edge resort could help you out/host it. There is heavy current on this river but only a mile below the resort the river becomes hard to access via a "standard" boat and I would think would be a blast to kayak fish.

5. Member
    High Falls is an absolute zoo with boat traffic on nice weekends in the summer.
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

Quote Originally Posted by kylemoodie View Post
    High Falls is an absolute zoo with boat traffic on nice weekends in the summer.
    Good to know, thank you

7. Member
    I would avoid delavan on the weekend too

Just about every lake in that size range or bigger is pretty much a zoo whenever it is nice out on the weekends. Did you by chance have one of your outings on Pine Lake in the last few years?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    Just about every lake in that size range or bigger is pretty much a zoo whenever it is nice out on the weekends. Did you by chance have one of your outings on Pine Lake in the last few years?
    We did, just not enough parking for 50 guys

Mirror Lake state Park outside of the Dells may be something to look into as well...its a no wake lake and has diverse structure...should be plenty of parking between the beach and two boat ramps which don't see a ton of use. It is busy in the summer but generally with Hikers, other kayakers and a couple fishing boats...there is also lots fo shallow vegetation perfect to sneak a kayak into

Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    We did, just not enough parking for 50 guys
    I believe I meet you that day. I remember talking to some of you and was wondering what a bunch of guys with yaks were doing there from Illinois lol

Seems like a great group of guys!

I believe I meet you that day. I remember talking to some of you and was wondering what a bunch of guys with yaks were doing there from Illinois lol

Seems like a great group of guys!
    Ahh, good deal! Yeah I really got onto a good smallmouth bite out there that day and won that event...locked into a several 17-18" fish on a dropshot

13. Member
    Buffalo lake may not be a bad choice...lots of slop and is on a rebound from the draw down. Not much pleasure boat activity.

14. Member
    x
    Last edited by basscatcher12; 03-15-2021 at 11:24 AM.

I was just on white water today and haven't been out there in about 8 years. That's another good choice! Or big Muskego if you could work around the 18" size limit.

I was just on white water today and haven't been out there in about 8 years. That's another good choice! Or big Muskego if you could work around the 18" size limit.
    Big Muskego is actually on the roster for next year...looks like a solid lake. The great thing about our kayak events is that they are all catch and release. You bump the fish on a bump board, take a quick picture and immediately release them. This allows us to not have to follow the size limits for the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Big Muskego is actually on the roster for next year...looks like a solid lake. The great thing about our kayak events is that they are all catch and release. You bump the fish on a bump board, take a quick picture and immediately release them. This allows us to not have to follow the size limits for the lake.
    That's fantastic! I'll be out there tomorrow actually. Hunters nest is great place to launch and plenty of room to park there is more room for beaching yaks at hunters nest as well compared to box horns.

That's fantastic! I'll be out there tomorrow actually. Hunters nest is great place to launch and plenty of room to park there is more room for beaching yaks at hunters nest as well compared to box horns.
    How’d you do out there? I got a tournament at Tichigan tomorrow, but will be hitting Big M from next week until it freezes up.

Didn't go today really didn't feel like dealing with the weather. But should be there tomorrow!