Praying Water pressure gauge reading high

Bought a used 2016 Basscat Sabre with a Mercury 150 hp 4-stroke. Pressure gauge was "pegging out" at over 30lbs at WOT. So I replaced the gauge with a new one and ran a new line. New gauge reads identical to the old one at WOT. Can anybody tell me the normal pressure range this engine should run? Engine has never overheated and shows good flow out of the bleeder. Never heard of an engine running this high on pressure. Do I have a problem perhaps downstream of the nozzle (or some other problem)? Serial Number of engine 2B245490
    Last edited by Norman P Hebert; 10-09-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Forgot to add serial number

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pressure will vary considerably, depending on setup and speed.

Manual lists 11.6 - 43.5 psi water pressure as the WOT acceptable range.

For practical application, we use 15 psi minimum @ WOT.

So yes... it's possible, and may be an indication that there is room to move the engine higher (POSSIBLY).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you so much Mr. Weed. This has been on my mind since I bought the boat. I feel relief knowing I have no problem now. I tried moving the engine up and saw no change on the gauge.

4. Member
    I have new 150 HP 4/stoke since March....my pressures are similar to yours.

5. Member
    Thanks everybody. Ya'll have eased my mind.

6. Member
    ya I show 30 plus psi. when mid 60s. at cruise speeds 20 psi. no biggie
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

7. Member
    11.6 at WOT ;) maybe I have some tweaking to do.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't even worry about 11.6... perhaps on a barge.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Banned
    Glad you finally have peace of mind, you've got me wondering if the new 150hp Pro XS 4-stroke has even better water psi with its low pickups in the nose cone of lower unit?

10. Member
    My new 150 4 stroke Pro XS gets up to 35psi (smartcraft) at WOT. That's running right about 5,900rpm with a Fury 24 pitch on a 2000 TR186 (61mph-gps).

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitriton View Post
    My new 150 4 stroke Pro XS gets up to 35psi (smartcraft) at WOT. That's running right about 5,900rpm with a Fury 24 pitch on a 2000 TR186 (61mph-gps).
    What's your pad to prop measurement?

12. Member
    I pretty sure I'm at 2-3/4in below the pad. I've adjusted it a few times and I think that's where I settled for.