Ethanol content might increase

Just heard on the news that Trump is going let the EPA to allow fuel producers to increase ethanol in the fuel that they produce. Since oil companies own a lot of the ethanol production facilities you can guess E-10 will get replaced with E-15. I had read that Yamaha has already developed a E-15 additive. If true hope they are ramped up to get it on the market.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 10-09-2018 at 06:25 PM.

2. Member
    If true non ethanol fuel will be even more in demand.
    Last edited by 1Holeshot; 10-10-2018 at 04:41 PM.

3. Member
    Prices are raised when ethanol is added to gasoline to pay the increased costs of ethanol.

Prices are raised when gasoline is made available without ethanol to pay for the costs to keep it out.

4. Member
    Here is a story on it. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...soline-n918011 Since no political posts I will just leave it at that.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

5. Member
    Forget the politics. What does Yamaha have to say about the effects E15 will have on those engines that they sale? I lived in Houston for the last 15 years and just this past year one service station (Buckee's) near me started to sale non ethanol gasoline. Its about a $1.00 more a gallon than E-10 regular. I will buy it if that is my only option. If Yamaha says RingFree and E-15 is ok then no big deal. Trust me if it is legal to sale and they can make more money, the oil industry wont care if E-15 will screw up your motor.

6. Member
    Gotta love progress, will force consumers to upgrade most things in 5 years to run the E15.
    Boy I miss the late 80's when ethanol was not used...

7. Member
    It is going to be a problem if gas stations start selling only E15 while the outboard motor makers all say that it is not acceptable for use in their motors. Either find gasoline without ethanol (if you can) or use E15 with the owner assuming risk if anything happens to the fuel system. Motor makers will have to adapt but that will not help motors that were designed and made for up to E10 only.

But there are some positive aspects of this. Farmers and ethanol producers, their lobbyists and some elected officials will be making lots of extra bucks.

15% is NOT good for fuel lines on outboard engines. It will also increase fuel consumption as it does not burn at the same rate as non ethanol or even 10%. I will NEVER understand the use of ethanol, period. It takes more energy to produce than the savings it might provide in fuel production. 15% is not even good for most cars/trucks unless they are specifically "flex fuel" models.

Stupid is as stupid does, as Forrest said...
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

9. Member
    The fuel consumption will increase as mpg will go down. I'm sure there be places locally to purchase non ethanol or 10 percent ethanol. Marine industry will benefit from the 15 percent as sales will increase for the 4 strokes. I'm probably old school and will run my 2stroke till it is done. 4strokes are just like a car engine and if you recall they leak oil in time and timing belt.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    The fuel consumption will increase as mpg will go down. I'm sure there be places locally to purchase non ethanol or 10 percent ethanol. Marine industry will benefit from the 15 percent as sales will increase for the 4 strokes. I'm probably old school and will run my 2stroke till it is done. 4strokes are just like a car engine and if you recall they leak oil in time and timing belt.
    Yamaha has on their marine website a picture of its engines and off to the side is the circle symbol with E15 in the middle with a line drawn through it. So they dont have their engines at least up through this year set up to run E15. Its not going to be just a 2 stroke issue. To date I have one service station to now offer non ethanol gas and I live in the greater Houston area. The closet lake to me is over an hour away and no one up to this point has offered it and I have lived here for 15 years. So lets hope they keep E10 readily available. At least until I stop fishing haha.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 10-16-2018 at 09:43 AM.

11. Member
    I don’t see it happening. If I start seeing a big change in the amount of ethanol moved from plant to plant then I will believe it.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO