Vessel View Mounting

Hi Guys. I just ordered a vessel view mobile kit to install on my new Pro XS 4 stroke. I was wondering if there were any recommendations on mounting location. I've cruised through some of the other troubleshooting threads but didn't see anything specific about where the module itself is being routed and mounted. Any advice is appreciated. a pic would be even better as a reference.

Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke 250hp with analog gauges

Thanks!
    Last edited by Stratosfisher; 10-09-2018 at 11:58 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to Review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    updated with required pertinent info except S/N as I'm currently at work.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ultimately it's usually best to install this at the console. It "could" be installed at the back of the engine, where the Terminating Resistor is (and tied up at the back)... but there will likely be some difficulties keeping it linked.

Shouldn't be any harm in trying it there- if you're happy with the results, that's great. Just remember to reinstall the Terminator on the VVM harness.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Don, dont mean to hijack but what do you mean by "mounting at the console"? Is there somewhere to plug in up there? Im having problems with it disconnecting.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you have a Smartcraft Network installed (with a J-box at the console), the Vessel View Mobile can be plugged directly into the J-box (and with a properly installed network, there is no need for any additional terminating resistor when installing at the J-box).

7. Banned
    Mine is mounted under the engine cowl and zip tied near the front. No issues with connectivity.

8. Member
    I dont have the Smartcraft network, think Ill try moving mine to the front of the engine as it is now in the back. Thanks

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That may prove a bit interesting... not a lot of room to work with.

What boat do you have this rigged on. Stratosfisher?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That may prove a bit interesting... not a lot of room to work with.

What boat do you have this rigged on. Stratosfisher?

I'm rigging on a 2019 Triton 20 TRX

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gotcha. Unlikely that they have a Mercury OEM Harness in that boat.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Mine is mounted under the engine cowl and zip tied near the front. No issues with connectivity.
    ⬆️Mine too-No issues.

13. Member
    Just moved mine from the back to the front and my disconnect issue went away. Dont waste your time hooking it up in the back. Not hard to route it towards the front. Mines industrial velcroed to the side of the starter. Cowl slipped on no problem.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    Just moved mine from the back to the front and my disconnect issue went away. Dont waste your time hooking it up in the back. Not hard to route it towards the front. Mines industrial velcroed to the side of the starter. Cowl slipped on no problem.
    Any chance we could get a picture?