Troll motor noise interference on Lowrance Radio

Need some help/insight on trying to decrease static/high pitch noise in my AM radio stations when my TM motor is on.

my system is a Lowrance HDS carbon with Sonic Hub module .Am/Fm radio antenna is plugged into Sonic Hub with motorola connector,Antenna is outside the center console.
    Only noise/static is noted on the AM stations,none on FM,or any other input like Sirius,iPod,etc.
    My TM is min kota Ultierra 24 volt,and these batteries or not physically connected to my house/electronics 12v battery.
    Called MINNKOTA,they are aware of noise issue on radio stations,but don't have a solution.
    I added ferrite beads to my radio antenna,but it made no difference.
    I have read that car manufacturers put capacitor on alternator to decrease electric noise ,not sure how to do that on a TM.

any advice on this would be appreciated.
    john

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    AM broadcasts by design are wide open to even small amounts of RFI. Not going to find much sympathy with the FCC or Minn Kota.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    AM broadcasts by design are wide open to even small amounts of RFI. Not going to find much sympathy with the FCC or Minn Kota.
    Exactly.

Virtually any electrical noise, like the sparking that occurs at the brushes on the TM, will be detected by an AM radio. You can probably hear a pop or buzz when you turn lights on and off or trim the outboard too. As a matter of fact, an AM radio is an excellent tool for finding loose electrical connections because it converts electrical noise to audio really well. It is partly because of the fundamental way AM works and partly because manufacturers don't put any effort into building quality AM receivers anymore. You'll never get rid of it.

The only mitigating step you can take is to increase signal quality by using a better antenna, but unfortunately that will be a bulky antenna that stands up higher. Similar to http://www.mile204.us/PotsdamDan/Rub...timate_AM.html

The easy solution is to stream the station you want to listen to on your phone.

If you really want AM, try a C.Crane radio or a pre-FM car radio. They seem to be the only decent AM broadcast receivers readily available.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​