2013 200 Pro XS leaking oil ..

Hi all

Just came back from 3 days using boat(2013 P4 w/200 pro xs) pretty much around the clock...boat ran fine and did not have this issue before.

Engine info
    Model#1200P73BD
    Serial#1B962352
    200L PXS

Noticed greasey residue on skeg while passing by doing yard work..traced it back to oil dripping down shiftshaft area onto front of lower end coming from somewhere under cowling near bottom of engine block..checked oil reservoir cap, thats clean and tight. No leaking hoses that I can readily see.

I read on another post there is a small oil line which lubricates a top bearing and sometimes comes loose? Does anyone have a picture showing where this is? Obviously, not going to use until I find and fix issue.

Appreciate any suggestions and helpful info

P.S. Communicating with "Rhonda" for engine manual by email..

Thanks guys
    Mike
    Last edited by MRichard2016; 10-09-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Did you check the oil pump ?
    Mine is leaking.. Took me a while to spot where it was coming from.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Usually will see a drop form on the bottom "allen head" screw for the oil pump if it is leaking.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks for the reply guys..

Just looked over for about 30 minutes disconnecting wiring harness etc.. to be able to see back of oil pump..all hoses were dry at back of pump

Oil residue was more front/middle on bottom of cowling..I see some hoses cross to other side at that point from pump...I cleaned up the residue etc..

I ran engine on muffs for roughly 15minutes and checked for any signs of oil etc..nothing, let sit for 15 minutes and checked..nothing

I know buddy who was with me trimmed up engine all the way after putting on trailer to make sure it didnt drag skeg pulling up ramp..any chance something like that would have caused it?

Thanks for any help guys

P.S. Ordered engine manual from Rhonda..is on its way

If the oil pump is leaking like mine and most others it will be leaking on the front... As Don says-- you can normally see a drop on a bottom allen head screw.. It will leave residue right where you describe.
    IMO I doubt 15 minutes on the hose will be enough time to show much..

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you running Mercury/Quicksilver DFI Oil? If so, clean everything up with degreaser (cowlings removed) and let dry completely.

Utilize UV Leak Detection Light and glasses to find leak (you already have leak detection dye in the oil).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Check to see if the oil is leaking past the plenum gasket.

If Im looking at the correct location..the oil pump is on left bottom side of engine looking at it straight on from front? If so, no signs of leakage there , it seems more in the center/middle of engine from what I have determined at this point which isnt a whole lot other than I have a oil leak.

And if in fact it is my oil pump..is this something that is normal for a 5 year old engine? I guess it would be a less costly fix obviously..other than that?

Thanks guys..I will get more into it this weekend when I have more time.

the oil pump is on left bottom side of engine looking at it straight on from front?
    if in fact it is my oil pump..is this something that is normal for a 5 year old engine?
    Yes sir that would be the front side of the pump.
    Mine is a 2013 model and it seems there have been several more at 5 years or less.
    It took me 3 different trips to the lake before I actually found the source.. Each time I pulled the pan and meticulously cleaned everything. Most all my cables and lines are routed just under the plenum. After each trip they would have oil residue on them and it keept throwing me off until I finally found a drop that was still on the bottom allen screw.
    If I had better eye sight or a UV leak detection light I would have found it sooner..

Seems pretty clear to me at least finding oil residue on bottom part of oil pump that it is in fact the pump. Do they sell a rebuild kit?

I received my engine manual ..thank you Don/Rhonda and European Marine.

Question..
    Had a buddy out yesterday who has pancreatic cancer with his nephew who wants to get into tournament fishing for a brief run on the water and had what seemed like 10 loud beeps?

Any info and help is appreciated

They do not have a rebuild kit. I read where a few did replace some O-rings, one gentleman did a follow up and said it was still leaking.
    From the research I have done I would advise to replace -- that's where I'm at with mine.
    For your beeps check the sticky's on top under commonly asked..

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    They do not have a rebuild kit. I read where a few did replace some O-rings, one gentleman did a follow up and said it was still leaking.
    From the research I have done I would advise to replace -- that's where I'm at with mine.
    For your beeps check the sticky's on top under commonly asked..
    Hey fishnfireman, does your oil pump look like this? Just found this on my 2013 250, and i'm not to happy about it.

2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

13. Member
    That’s it. Appears to be the infamous oil pump leak. Very common on these motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneida Ranger Z520c View Post
    Hey fishnfireman, does your oil pump look like this? Just found this on my 2013 250, and i'm not to happy about it.

Yes Sir; looks exactly like that -- including the oil ..
    Seams they like to start leaking at about the 5th year of use.

Thanks for your help all..dropping off next week to merc mechanic

Having oil pump replaced etc.. and winterized unfortunately

16. Member
    Only question I have is I am certain the folks up at Mercury are not idiots. So why would they replace ALL of these oil pumps rather than ship o-rings to the dealers to greatly reduce the warranty costs? Can't answer that one myself but that DOES seem idiotic. Imagine if they went to replacing the entire powerhead for any warranty issue. Quick route to bankruptcy...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

It's hard for me to believe that these pumps were not recalled, with the amount of pumps documented leaking and some with very low hours. IMO these pumps should not leak one drop of oil, they are not high pressured or high volume pumps.

I'd almost bet the company that manufactured these knows about it, and it has to be a casting or milling flaw. Not machined right for any proper sized O-ring to seal. And also the possibility of hot to cold expansion of the casting. If your car or truck had a problem like this what would have happen than?

They at least could of offered the owners of these very expensive engines half off the price of a new pump.
    I realize some were covered under warranty, than only to leak again, just read a fella has replaced three pumps already. It's not right.

It's also pretty bad when your local Mercury dealer mechanic tells you he has replaced over two hundred of them....are you kidding me????
    Last edited by Oneida Ranger Z520c; 10-27-2018 at 06:07 AM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    Only question I have is I am certain the folks up at Mercury are not idiots. So why would they replace ALL of these oil pumps rather than ship o-rings to the dealers to greatly reduce the warranty costs? Can't answer that one myself but that DOES seem idiotic. Imagine if they went to replacing the entire powerhead for any warranty issue. Quick route to bankruptcy...
    My guess would be that the O-ring was not the only issue......

I would also suspect that Merc has poured all of there time. money and resources into developing the new 4 strokes for at least the last 5 years, knowing full well that these motors are history.