Why buy a Yamaha 4 stroke

I am looking to buy my first time bass boat ( Ranger RT175 aluminum ) and wanted to ask about Yamaha motors. I have considered an E-tech 75hp but think I will go 4 stroke. My only experiance with Yamaha is as a passenger in two friends boats both with Yamahas (18' Champian w/150 ProV a absolute screamer of a boat & 21 or 22' ' Triton w/225 Yamaha which was a beast of a boat to ride in ) Both Yamahas were two strokes and the owners loved them. Anyone have experience with the 70 or 75hp four stroke motors . I want the most speed I can get with this boat and motor . Would the 75 although heavier get the better speed on this boat. Are there any things that Yamaha owners don't like about the four strokes? Thank you for your help.

Dan
    Redding CA
    Shasta Lake

2. Banned
    Most Rangers come Mercury engines mounted and they seem to feature Mercs as their preferred outboard provider.

If your dealer is purchasing the motor directly from Yamaha, his wholesale cost of the motor may be substantially more than if the engine was purchased thru Ranger on volume discounts. For repowering, Mercury sells their motors to their individual dealers substantially cheaper than Yamaha dealers can purchase the same horsepower motor.

While both motors are great, see if your price on a Mercury ordered with the boat will be cheaper? The 75-90-115 hp motors are basically the same 359 pound motors with the 115hp costing about $1000 more than the 75 hp--and the 90 hp in the middle. Going with as large of a motor as your boat is rated for is really a better value and a more satisfied owner.

(Note: I'm a Yamaha F150 owner, and have had great service out of my Yamaha outboards since 1985.)

3. Member
    Yammy for life
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    I have a F90 4 stroke on my H17 Xpress and it runs mid 40's with a Tournament load (I did not say I fish tournaments with it). But I could.

5. Member
    Yamaha F* engines are pretty much bullet proof as long as you break it in properly and perform the proper maintenance. I had an F50 on a 17ft aluminum boat and never had an issue with it. Easy to maintain and very economical. You might consider the F70 over the F75 as the F70 is almost 100lbs lighter than the F75.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

6. Member
    Thanks guys. I was hoping there would be a Yamaha 70 w/Ranger RT175 owner that could tell me what speed he gets out of that combo.

7. Member
    Maybe post this on the Tin Boats or Ranger forums and you will get more feedback on the type of boat your asking about.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by dan2116 View Post
    Thanks guys. I was hoping there would be a Yamaha 70 w/Ranger RT175 owner that could tell me what speed he gets out of that combo.
    I've heard on here, but don't have fist hand experience, that the F70 is not really all the powerful for a 70. I have a friend that has on one a 17' deep vee and it has been trouble free but all he does is ride around and occassionally pull the grandkids on a tube so max power is not important to him.

If it were me I'd go with the Mercury 75
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I have a local dealer that orders his Lund boats without motors. The reason, he likes the Yamaha better. He feels the F70LA is better than the 75 Merc.
    Here's the thing, right now if you buy a Yamaha, you get a 6 yr warranty and that is on until Nov 19. If you buy a Merc, you can get a 5 yr warranty right now.

As you look at the Ranger, which I believe you mean a RT 178, not 175? I would go with the price point since both motors will have a good warranty. Also, if the boat comes through with Merc controls, they will charge you for swapping it out to a Yamaha. The cost is substantial, a 70 Yamaha is about $1K more than a 75 Merc, then the controls would be about $300 and they would charge you about $600 to change everything over. So, you're talking about a $2K difference to change it over. How do I know this? I priced it with my local dealer on a Lund with a Merc. That's what it would have cost me more to go to Yamaha since Lund is a Brunswick and Mercury company.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

10. Member
    You can order any Ranger boat straight from the factory with the Yamaha already installed. Yamaha engines cost a tad bit more than Mercury to begin with, so expect a little price increase for the RT178/Yamaha package. The dealership that sponsors me sells a bunch of them rigged both ways.

11. Member
    I have seen that combo in the tin boat forums before, It might have been Tampa Jim