Ranger Z518, 1st boat and going Garmin! Thoughts and recommendations appreciated!

I have been researching/reading as much as I can here and here is my plan. About to move forward but figured I better run this by those with experience.

-Echomap plus 93SV at bow and console
    *Alternatively may consider GPSMap 10xsv units.
    -Order 1 with no transducer and the other with GT52 for trolling motor.
    -UHD (GCV20 and GT34) for the transom.
    -Livescope (GLS10 and LVS32) on the trolling motor.
    -GT15 or GT8 for in hull (kind of confused on which is better).
    -All networked obviously.

Any thoughts if this will be a good route to take? Recommendations otherwise?

Questions:
    1. Best transducer location for Ranger Z518 transom?
    2. Should I get a heading sensor or not and if so where to mount? (I have Ultrex puck on the bow step pad).
    3. Thoughts on Precision Sonar mount over the front of the recessed trolling motor tray vs on the bow plate directly?
    4. Will I need to consider an additional battery or larger cranking battery? (only have a 3 bank charger).

I do realize the difference between the echomap plus (touch) vs gpsmap series I am considering and planning on going to play with the 2 at the local BPS.
    Sorry for all the questions! Just figured I would try and limit this to one thread instead of 5!

2. Member
    I don't know that I can offer much advice. Looks like you have done your homework well. The GT15 in hull version is the way to go. This is the best 2d transducer that Garmin makes. I actually have two of them; the in hull and a transom mount. Sometime I need to do a head-to-head comparison to gauge the effect of one being in hull, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Yes on the SteadyCast heading sensor. The only mounting restriction is that it be away from magnetic interference. Use a handheld compass to verify the location. Mount it sideways, upside down, whatever. Doesn't matter. Put it up top, under the console, in a rod locker. It's NMEA2000 so you'll need a starter kit to hook it up.

Jeremy may offer some advice. This looks a lot like his setup. Garmin has done a great job putting together a system setup with these Plus units. It's not just a bang for the buck system. It's also a performance system. The biggest limitation is that you can't do map sharing and you can't network to a GPSMAP unit. The network has to be all Plus or all GPSMAP.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Banned
    Save yourself the latter regrets and go 1242 at both the bow and console. Yes it's more now but it will be more enjoyable in the long run.

Personally I would find some folks that use all different brands and see what it looks like ON THE WATER..........

Don't forget the Ultrex. Best money in fishing you will ever spend, period!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I don't know that I can offer much advice. Looks like you have done your homework well. The GT15 in hull version is the way to go. This is the best 2d transducer that Garmin makes. I actually have two of them; the in hull and a transom mount. Sometime I need to do a head-to-head comparison to gauge the effect of one being in hull, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Yes on the SteadyCast heading sensor. The only mounting restriction is that it be away from magnetic interference. Use a handheld compass to verify the location. Mount it sideways, upside down, whatever. Doesn't matter. Put it up top, under the console, in a rod locker. It's NMEA2000 so you'll need a starter kit to hook it up.

Jeremy may offer some advice. This looks a lot like his setup. Garmin has done a great job putting together a system setup with these Plus units. It's not just a bang for the buck system. It's also a performance system. The biggest limitation is that you can't do map sharing and you can't network to a GPSMAP unit. The network has to be all Plus or all GPSMAP.
    Thank you!
    So the heading sensor does not need to be on the deck like other pucks? That is good to know if this is the case.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    Save yourself the latter regrets and go 1242 at both the bow and console. Yes it's more now but it will be more enjoyable in the long run.

Personally I would find some folks that use all different brands and see what it looks like ON THE WATER..........

Don't forget the Ultrex. Best money in fishing you will ever spend, period!
    I have recently been able to see and use Humminbird which had nice side and down scan. I have a small Lowrance unit on my kayak with sidescan so sorta familiar with their line. I just don't know anyone with any Garmin units on the boat. But everything I have read and watched has me intrigued to the point I would like to try it out. Your comment has me feeling that you are implying something. Care to elaborate further?!
    The new boat also does have the Ultrex already present so I can check that box!!

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Jeremy may offer some advice.
    I can try to......

I just finished with the front/back +93sv setup......awesome setup, very easy to use, setup and navigate the menus.......

Here is what i have:
    Console: +93sv w/GT15 in hull and UHD on jackplate.
    Bow: +93sv w/GT52 and PS22....
    Both units and panoptix connected to the GCV20 box. I don't have any experience with Garmin much less the transducers but Leonard suggested the GT15 and that's what i went with. So far so good especially since it's shooting thru the hull.....lot better return than my Lowrance, my guess it's due to the power of the ducer and great read at high speeds above 60 mph....The UHD, is a lot better than the GT52 on bow, only thing i don't like is, its a set frequency on clear vu and side vu, can not change frequency. As for the units, great, easy to use, LOVE the Quick Draw contours. Like computers programs, you will learn and figure out the menus as you used it more frequently.

The only "issue" i have is they are 9" screens, wish they had them in 10" & 12". Actually i got the 9's banking on them coming out with bigger screens.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I can try to......

I just finished with the front/back +93sv setup......awesome setup, very easy to use, setup and navigate the menus.......

Here is what i have:
    Console: +93sv w/GT15 in hull and UHD on jackplate.
    Bow: +93sv w/GT52 and PS22....
    Both units and panoptix connected to the GCV20 box. I don't have any experience with Garmin much less the transducers but Leonard suggested the GT15 and that's what i went with. So far so good especially since it's shooting thru the hull.....lot better return than my Lowrance, my guess it's due to the power of the ducer and great read at high speeds above 60 mph....The UHD, is a lot better than the GT52 on bow, only thing i don't like is, its a set frequency on clear vu and side vu, can not change frequency. As for the units, great, easy to use, LOVE the Quick Draw contours. Like computers programs, you will learn and figure out the menus as you used it more frequently.

The only "issue" i have is they are 9" screens, wish they had them in 10" & 12". Actually i got the 9's banking on them coming out with bigger screens.....

Thank you!
    It sure seems like everyone wishes they went bigger. I think I am leaning toward the GPSMap series because of this. Did you have to go with an extra battery?

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    No extra battery....i have a AGM 31 battery and up to this point, i havent had any problems. Same battery i had with my Lowrance setup. If you get the correct battery you shouldnt have to have a 2nd battery just for electronics.

9. Member
    No extra battery....i have a AGM 31 battery and up to this point, i havent had any problems. Same battery i had with my Lowrance setup. If you get the correct battery you shouldnt have to have a 2nd battery just for electronics.
    OK great! I need to look and see what my Ranger came with. It's whatever came from the dealer.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Dealers dont always put the biggest battery in boats when you buy them.

Assuming you have a Mercury here is the link that recommends batteries.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....batteries+meet

11. Member

It's like Christmas morning! Decided to go with 1242xsv touch units. Can't wait to get everything installed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Nice !!!!! What 2d ducer did you go with for the rear? and ducer for TM?

13. Member
    Nice !!!!! What 2d ducer did you go with for the rear? and ducer for TM?
    I have a GT52 for the trolling motor. I had spoke with a Garmin rep and we talked about the waters I fish. He recommended the GT8 as all the lakes I fish are fairly shallow, so this is the route I took. He did state the GT15 has more power but for my purposes the GT8 should be good. I know LWINCHESTER2 recommended the GT15 so I was really torn which way to go here. I figure with how far I am in cost wise, if I am not happy with the in hull performance I will get the GT15 if needed!
    It's truly horrible staring at this stuff in boxes! Super anxious to get on the water and play with everything.