Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Evinrude Etec 200 HO Problem

I have an Evinrude Etec 200 HO a model #E200DHLIS Serial #05277819. I had problems today with my motor shutting off at wot. Did this 3 or 4 times. Was still doing this when I came in. It will start right back up and you can idle down the lake just fine. When you are running at wide open throttle it just shuts off. No warning buzzer or anything. Ran fine this morning. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Kirk R; 10-08-2018 at 07:13 PM. Reason: forgot to put serial #

2. Member
    Check primer bulb and pump it up.

Could be a loose connection on the key switch. Check the big blue capacitor, remove the rubber cover and see if the electralite is leaking.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

Dan, when I first started the boat yesterday morning the whole key switch turned some within the dash. I turned it back to the left about where I thought it was at. This has done that several times in the past couple years or so. Do you think that it just needs tightened up and that could be the problem? After the motor shut completely off the first couple of times, it ran fine back up the lake about 3 miles until I stopped and put it into neutral, then when I started to take off again it shut off again. Started right back up and I ran it back to the ramp about 2 miles at slower speed and no problems. I noticed if I ran slowly it wouldn’t shut off. Seems like something electrical to me. It doesn’t miss or anything.

In addition to the ignition switch being loose in the panel it does sound like one of the connections is loose. You need to remove the panel so you can tighten up the switch itself and check the connections on the switch itself. What brand boat is it on?
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

The crankshaft position sensor could be at fault as an intermittent failure can stop the motor instantly, like turning the key off. Even though it may test OK, sometimes it has to be replaced to cure the problem.

There was a bulletin about that a while back but I'm not to where I can find it right now or if your motor was included in it.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Thanks for the info guys. It is on a Ranger Z518.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk R View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. It is on a Ranger Z518.
    What year
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Motor is a 2010 and the boat is a 2012 model

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    That particular key switch will loosen up with vibration over time, but that should have little/nothing to do with the engine shutting off while under power. Once the engine is started, the position of the key switch in the dash should be irrelevant. The key remains in the same position within the switch. The bezel ring that holds the switch orientation just gets a little loose.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. Member
    Check KILL switch

I see that your serial number is not within the service bulletin range, however for other readers who may have similar intermittent problems, check your serial number tag on the motor.

If your serial number is between 5407624 through 5410868, see your dealer about an inspection of the CPS under bulletin 2014-01(W)
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

I will check that in the morning. Thanks for looking that up for me.

Took boat to dealer last Friday and haven’t heard anything on boat yet. You guys think bad gas could cause that problem? Idles fine though and doesn’t sputter at all just shuts off like you turned off the key it at wide open throttle. I did get gas that morning and put fuel conditioner in it.

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk R View Post
    Took boat to dealer last Friday and haven’t heard anything on boat yet. You guys think bad gas could cause that problem? Idles fine though and doesn’t sputter at all just shuts off like you turned off the key it at wide open throttle. I did get gas that morning and put fuel conditioner in it.
    Was it running fine prior to getting more fuel?

Yes it was. After it quits it starts right back up like nothing wrong at all.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Take a fuel sample, place it in a clear jar and look for phase separation.

18. Member
    fuel line bad from alcohol??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Thought about that as well. I will see what the dealer has found out tomorrow. They may have not even touched it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    The crankshaft position sensor could be at fault as an intermittent failure can stop the motor instantly, like turning the key off. Even though it may test OK, sometimes it has to be replaced to cure the problem.

There was a bulletin about that a while back but I'm not to where I can find it right now or if your motor was included in it.
    Seahorse it turned out to be the Crank Position Sensor like you said. Dealer has it fixed now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast