2017 250 pro xs thermostat?

Should this part be covered under the warranty?
    23hrs on motor
    Had a 6 beep issue while out on the lake, took boat to bass pro shop and they hooked up the computer and said my thermostat was stuck open.... And said that mercury DOES NOT cover thermostats.... so I was like really... I'm sure they're not much money until he said $95.?? And then $3.?? For the gasket... STICKERSHOCK! so I had to pay 100 bucks to fix it. I just couldn't believe that it wasn't warranted.... I emailed mercury since they close at 4:30.

2. Member
    I would think the 3 year warranty would cover it. Don’t let this one slide.
    2015 189 trx

3. Member
    Thermostats are not covered, because they are a maintenance item......Your thermostat may have just needed cleaned.

Most T-stat I have seen that stuck was caused from some type of debris..
    I run the Sports master's so it happens more often with the forward mounted low water pickup..
    I can see why they won't warranty.

I am surprised it needed replaced. Get a Mercmonitor, to get the most common alarms in plain language and learn how to clean the thermostats yourself.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to Review the Forum Announcements, and update your post with the Required Information.

Thanks!

You were informed correctly- Thermostats are considered a Maintenance Item, and MOST problems with them are related to debris in the system (not really a "defect").

Glad they were able to get you taken care of!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member

8. Member
    So I'm going to take the part back to bass pro tomorrow and see what they say, maybe I can get lucky.

9. Member
    Just for future reference how do you clean/repair one of these?

I believe its posted above under commonly asked questions.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    I already did the install but was wondering how to repair a stuck open thermostat? Maybe I wasn't clear. I didnt have to remove the fuel rail or anything on my 250

Not sure you can (repair) if its stuck open.
    If its stuck because of something other than debris I would replace it.. You can place it in water on the stove to check if it functions.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Agreed- unless it's being held open by debris, simply replace it (if stuck open). That usually occurs when pebbles or sand get into the thermistor pin and damage components.

15. Member
    I always keep spare stats and gaskets but have only had to use the gaskets. This happens fairly regularly because of shallow operation. This may not be a Don approved method but I do this every time I have the stats out. If you push down on the spring the side tabs that hold the spring will release so you can remove the spring this way the stat valve will open and I rinse it off with water. Reinstall the spring. I do this because the tiniest grain of sand will hold that stat open. Sometimes you don’t see it.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don's been known to do pretty much the exact same thing a couple (hundred) times.