Thread: Bearing Buddies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bearing Buddies

I made a 800 mile round trip this weekend with the boat. I greased the bearings right before I left adding just enough that I saw the cylinder move on the bearing buddys.
    On the way back one of the caps came off the bearing buddy and it slung grease over the outside of the wheel. The hub never got hot and I dont see any grease on the inside of the wheel.
    Also if I move the cap from the other wheel to the one that the cap fell off of it seems that it doesnt create the suction like it use to to keep the cap on.

Is there a way to check these out to make sure there are no issues? I have a tournament this weekend and want to make sure I am good to drive.

Thanks

2. Member
    In my experience once the cap moves it seems like too much grease. I’ve made several trips to Canada with them and I just pump a squirt or two in. Never had any issues with them even getting remotely hot. Just order a new cap and clean up all of the grease. I would say you’re definitely good for this weekend. If it happens again on the same cap, then maybe something is up.

The covers are basically plasti-dip type vinyl - they get worn out with UV exposure and time. Get some new ones as stated. Use a degreaser or solvent to clean the outside of the bearing buddy before putting the cover back on. Grease between the cover and BB will allow them to slide off.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    The covers are basically plasti-dip type vinyl - they get worn out with UV exposure and time. Get some new ones as stated. Use a degreaser or solvent to clean the outside of the bearing buddy before putting the cover back on. Grease between the cover and BB will allow them to slide off.
    I have some on order. The biggest issue I saw was the fact that the side that came off doesnt seem to have the vacuum like it had before

If the cap is metal, you can take some heavy duty pliers and just bend out a couple spots on the edge a TINY BIT to help it grab the inside of the hub better. Or, take a lunch and put a couple dimples in the edge from the inside out. If you loose a cap again, take a Styrofoam coffee cup and put it on the hub. Long story, but an old man I used to go to Santee with lost the hub cap cover a few miles from his house in WVa. He put a Styrafoam coffee cup on the hub. It stayed in place all the way to Santee, all week at Santee where we launched daily, and all the way back to WVa at the end of the week. I suspect that when the hubs warmed, they created just enough suction to keep the cup in place.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Good points that will work..
    I think he is talking about the rubber cover.

7. Member
    My trailer repair place told me to get rid of mine. He does the bearing service once a year for me. Said that people over fill them and blow out the seals all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gleninaz View Post
    My trailer repair place told me to get rid of mine. He does the bearing service once a year for me. Said that people over fill them and blow out the seals all the time.
    Nothing wrong with bearing buddies or any similar brands. I installed UFP Trailer Buddy's. I installed them when servicing my hubs. After getting the initial air voids out of the hub, there is no reason to add grease if you can see a smidge of the blue indicator. Only time you need to add grease is when grease has come out of the front or back of the hub and then you have other issues to deal with.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

9. Member
    I've used bearing buddies for many years with no problems, people do tend to over grease when using these, once the plate barely moves stop greasing. As long as the seals are good you really dont have to add grease very often however some greases tend to leach their oil away from the thickener, you will see this accumulate in the outer portion of the bearing buddy, once you start seeing this its a good time to add a little grease..........

10. Member
    Blown out rear seal. Never use bearing buddies Once a year repack with solid caps is all you need.

---

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinR83 View Post
    Blown out rear seal. Never use bearing buddies Once a year repack with solid caps is all you need.
    Pretty amazing a blown rear seal can sling grease on the outside of the wheel.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    LOL kind of my reaction too
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

curious how many read past the title ???

15. Member
    I read all the posts, as usual. I went away from Bearing Buddies quite a while ago. Simple metal caps are cheap and have no moving parts or seals. Buy spares.
    As a side note Bearing Buddies do not depend on vacuum to stay in place, they make pressure with the spring that may contribute to rear seal leakage.
    They look nice.

16. Member
    I read the post, but had nothing to add. I am one who puts to much grease in them and blows the back seal. I have done that more than once. Since my boat goes in both fresh and saltwater, i just have the bearings redone every year. I can do the job myself, but it is a job that I would rather just pay to have someone else do. My guess is it cost about 150 dollars a year. I could be wrong either way on cost.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I read all the posts, as usual. I went away from Bearing Buddies quite a while ago. Simple metal caps are cheap and have no moving parts or seals. Buy spares.
    As a side note Bearing Buddies do not depend on vacuum to stay in place, they make pressure with the spring that may contribute to rear seal leakage.
    They look nice.

Might try reading it ALL again..
    Just an observation but it seems to me that is why a lot of threads go South. Not picking on anyone but about half of the posts on this thread all did the same thing.

The OP is talking about the RUBBER cap that goes over the bearing buddy, .It will keep grease from slinging on the FRONT of the wheel, And it is held on by some vacuum..
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 10-14-2018 at 07:28 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post

Might try reading it ALL again..
    Just an observation but it seems to me that is why a lot of threads go South. Not picking on anyone but about half of the posts on this thread all did the same thing.

The OP is talking about the RUBBER cap that goes over the bearing buddy, .It will keep grease from slinging on the FRONT of the wheel, And it is held on by some vacuum..
    Yes just the rubber bra came off and grease slung on the outside of the wheel. I replaced it but the vacuum is not there like before. The rear seal seems fine, no grease on the inner wheel. My guess is that the o-ring in the bearing buddy is not sealing.
    I was able to make the trip and I will replace the bearing buddies this winter.

Thanks All

Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Yes just the rubber bra came off and grease slung on the outside of the wheel. I replaced it but the vacuum is not there like before. The rear seal seems fine, no grease on the inner wheel. My guess is that the o-ring in the bearing buddy is not sealing.
    I was able to make the trip and I will replace the bearing buddies this winter.

Thanks All
    I'm thinking perhaps, like you said, the o-ring gave out and/or to much grease and caused the bra to come off. I don't think the rubber bra is suppose to hold back any grease. I would change the bearing buddie and new rubber cap, if you think the cap is loose on the new buddie, maybe put a wire tie around it. I would lift the wheel off the ground and give it a spin and check for play since your there for piece of mind.

20. Member
    You can put a small strip of duct tape around the edge of the rubber cap to keep it on ---had to do that on my old boat
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast